1935 355D Oil filter

pmhowe

I have read that the 1934 and 1935 Cadillac 355  V8 models are the only years that don't have oil filters. I would feel more comfortable having one on my car. I'm curious why none was originally fitted. I'm also interested to learn if there is a sensible after-market adaptation.  Thanks for the help.

Phil Howe

• 3 months later...

You will not have as easy a time of it as I did on my 1924 Cadillac. Many external oil pumps lend themselves to gracious adaptation. Engines such as yours have a relatively easy solution at overhaul time. You drift a plug up into the in-block oil pump output channel and tap in above and below the plug for a full flow filter installation. Paul Ayres did this on his '32 Cad , so if you are interested , look him up in Michigan in the CLC directory. I don't know how many orders of magnitude of difficulty you would suffer with an assembled engine in situ. I believe you are about my age (almost 74) , and have been playing around with many interesting cars for the duration. Therefore ,  I expect that along with Paul and myself and so many others , you are a resolute disciple of the full synthetic school of lubricant consumers. If for some reason or oversight you are not in n CLC , please P.M. me and I will "legwork" for you. Hmmmm ............ , say : I have not seen anything from Paul in a while. Let me inquire after him on CLC forums. Standby , or follow the link.  I'll be back in any case.   - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have decided to hold off on trying to add an oil filter. I believe I can probably do as well with frequent oil changes and with using a quality synthetic oil. I know there are many, many different opinions regarding which oil is best to use. However, my own conclusions are: 1. Bad oil is better than no oil. 2. Modern oils are better than oils that were available in the 1930s. 3. Good quality synthetic oils are at least as good and probably better than regular oils and will most likely help me enjoy my cars for a protracted period. Attached is an article - that impressed me - about oils. It is a little out of date and the author's focus is on Corvairs but, I think, it is still valid for us.

Oil Selection.pdf

Glad you have found Richard Widman's superb 33 page masterpiece , Phil ! I have read it two times , and am overdue for a third go at it. Even our esteemed and erudite Dr. Spinneyhill has studied it three times. Widman has indicated that Amsoil seems to be the best of the best. I went to their website , and was convinced that their Z-Rod product is just what the master mechanic has prescribed for our old cars. Available in 10W/30 and 20W/50 , or blend half and half for 15W/40. Neither Widman nor I are affiliated in any way with Amsoil. Well at least at the time of his writing , he was not , as per his disclaimer. Check out Z-Rod's lay up corrosion protection properties. I constantly invite anyone to prove a better oil exists. If I can do better than Amsoil , I will change. The best lubricants are not too good for my beloved machinery. Whew ! Very long day here , and the hour is late. More I need to say about sleeping dogs being awakened by the highly detergent synthetic oil. I have written elsewhere about my research regarding this. Arthritic thumbs need rest. The old body will follow. Call me if you like : see my response to Woolly15 right here for contact numbers.   I hope I have a pleasant dream about an amazing road trip.    - CC 

Edited by C Carl
Clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1