1920 Studebaker Light Six cylinder head.

Hello 

I have not been seen in these parts for some time although I do make a regular appearance in some other parts of the Forum.

I did however think that some of the regulars here may appreciate this.

The diagram shows the tightening order for the cylinder head retaining nuts on my current project a 1920 Studebaker Light Six.

Studebaker used a very experimental Aluminium Cylinder head on this model for just two years before abandoning it.

You will see from the attached diagram that torquing down the cylinder head was not an exercise to be undertaken lightly.

As one of my friends commented, it is enough to make your head spin!

Bernie j.

5a0fd16dcaa20_Headnuttighteningorder.thumb.jpeg.437766998f2351743dfec7318329be6f.jpeg

Bernie j.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Bernie, now that is a mind bender for sure.  Do you happen to know the torque specs?  And is the head gasket composite or copper.  I would imagine that it would be copper as you would not want the head to deform to the composite gasket.  Just thinking.  Following along on the Studebaker forum too.

Before doing anything else to the interior of the doors etc, I am giving the inside surfaces a light sand and then a coating of rust eater*. This will take about 24 hours before fully cured. Tomorrow Helen and I are driving up to Goorman to collect the Studebaker's "top". It will be interesting to see how it has survived the past 97 years. Perhaps of these the most critical will have been the last five or six. It has been standing or lying around off the car and folded up.

*Look up "Kill-rust, Rust eater".

Bj.

DSCN5708.thumb.jpg.98c51eb8ad6eaf5196a1d2a83b01d3e7.jpgDSCN5709.thumb.jpg.cbf032936f30523adb9dbd1b885ae8f2.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)