repair window winder 1936 buick

rlcokc

Getting ready to install my window winders and some of the felt on the arm is missing.  Vehicle is 1936 Buick Special. The winder has a knob at end of the arm which attaches to the window track and not sure how to repair. Thought about using furniture leg pad and slipping over the knob at end of winder. Can take photos and post if helpful. Any suggestions or experience would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Rod

Rod, are you referring to the button like end that slides in the track that normally has a heavy leather washer on it?  My `36 coupe has 3 rollers on the regulators I replaced them with item #3847281 from Chevs of the 40s  They have a nylon roller and a rivet stud, remove old knob, you will have to drill out hole to new rivet size then install. When I flared the rivet end I didn`t like the way it flared, so I did a quick burn with the mig welder to secure, heat it up too much and you`ll melt the nylon.  Tom

• Like 1

Tom

Thanks for response.

That's the animal I'm referring to. Interesting cause the one that came off yesterday sure felt like felt. I'll look at it again when I go back to shop. Used the felt and hole punch and think the fix is OK. Slides on track without difficulty only real issue is how long it will last. I'll look at chevs  of 40s and see what you used. 

Tom

Felt isn't going to work. I may get some leather and punch for replacement but now interested in the part you got from Chevs of the 40s. I looked at site and found the item your referring to. Appreciate the heads up. As I recall you have a coupe and not sure what you are referring to when you say you have 3 rollers, only two windows?  Are you referring to the leather washers? Sorry I'm so dense but not sure how to replace. I assume would just remove the arm and button end and replace with the part you are referring to with rivet and mig the end where the button like end was before. I assume one roller and rivet from Chev 40s for each of my 4 windows. Thanks for your help.

Rod

Rod, I think the four door regulators just have one roller at the end of the arm that fits to the window c-channel track, my coupe has one roller at the end of the main arm,  and about the middle of the main arm there is another arm that pivots kinda like sissors, and this arm has a roller on each end pointing in opposite directions. Besides the c-channel track on the bottom of the window, my doors also have another c-channel track that is mounted on the backside of the regulator board, mine has one roller in the track on the board and two rollers on the window track. The original rollers, the leather washer and button is actually inside the c-channel track, the new rollers are grooved and slide on the upper and lower edge of the c-channel opening. You`ve got it on replacing. The end of the new roller rivet is not solid it has the center hole which with the correct tool to swedge it with would roll the end outwards securing it to the arm, I used a punch and the end didn`t roll it split when hammered flat, so I wasn`t sure it would stay tight, that`s the reason I did the weld. The window raises and lowers with less resistance than before.. Also once you take the old button off, the existing hole will have to be enlarged for the new rivet, you want a good snug fit don`t over bore it..  Good luck  Tom