leaking carb on 1936 ford

When i start this 1936 ford, a 4 cylinder flat head,  i get fuel coming under the carb. This happens as i try to start the car with the crank handle, and before it starts i get fuel coming under the carby. Could it be the float beingtoo high, or am i missing something.  This is the small english ford in original condition. Any ideas? Thanks Phil 

Do you have an electric fuel pump? It could be overwhelming the float. Are you pumping the gas before you try to start it?

There is a Regional Group of the Early Ford V-8 Club in New South Wales and maybe someone from that Club is more familiar with your car and can help you out. Here is a link to their website. They are a very friendly bunch of guys and will help if they can.

http://earlyfordv8clubnsw.org/

Thanks for the reply. I will check the  local small ford group. On this motor there is a lever on the fuel pump, which you have to prime before starting, and even when not primed, the fuel comes out on both sides under the carby. I replaced the gasket on the emulsion plate, which seemed to be leaking before,  but sounds like i might have to bite the bullet and pull carby off again and see grom under neath where leak is.