Anyone ever seen an odd rear seat GM script heater 1934 like this?

F&J

I have never seen/heard of a rear seat heater made by any Car Manufacturer, made and designed to fit like this:

Car is a 1934 LaSalle 4 door sedan, it was "factory? mounted / designed to fit on the backside of the backrest of the front seat. If you see the robe rail mount at far right upper, then you can imagine how high up on the backrest it is. Very thin design compared to underdash units.

Factory type bent connector pipes led under the floor to rubber hoses.  Hose are just placed up high to show the bends.  They were very low to the floor and partly under the floor,

The parts car went through several LaSalle collections but they never spotted this heater because the entire seat rotted away and fell backwards, then random parts were added to that pile of rubble over the decades.

DSCN1025.JPG.f70bbc9e98926098c87d2d4daf1e1cf3.JPG

DSCN1026.JPG.33f05fba57c5ffa569204450f4beadba.JPG

I have seen one of these in operation.  Also I owned a 1953 Buick Special that was built in the USA and delivered new by Patterson Motors in Moose Jaw, Sask., that had an heater under the rear seat as well as under the front seat.  Perhaps that was because of our colder Canadian Winters. On a real cold day with the rad totally covered and the defroster and both underseat heaters going the engine barely got up to operating temperature but I was able to drive in my shirt sleeves.

39 minutes ago, Peter P said:

That is really cool. I have never seen one like it. Thank

Seems no person here so far ever saw one.  A person was here today and I showed it to him by tipping the seat back up to normal like a flat floor.  That heater is wedge shaped to how it fits the precise angle of this backrest.

I need to join the CAD/LAS forum, maybe some info will be had.  I did look in factory Cad;LAS parts books but they do not list any heaters at all, none even for front.,,and that manual covers a bit newer cars too

8 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I have seen one of these in operation.  Also I owned a 1953 Buick Special that was built in the USA and delivered new by Patterson Motors in Moose Jaw, Sask., that had an heater under the rear seat

This is not the underseat GM heater.  I do know those quite well, as I stuck my hand under the passenger front seat of a 50 Cad hearse when I was a kid.  Unless I am dreaming here, I could swear my finger was clipped by a fan blade.  Mine is made to be on the backrest for positive, and there would be no point of a decorative GM logo under the seat.

I think it has got to be a long forgotten GM acc'y.  Not $ valuable if NOBODY remembers it . LOL    But value is not what I cared about in this request :)

Such a cool find. Might have been an option that was just not popular in the day. I cannot believe that no one took the air flow vents from the hood sides, not even a rat rodder.  Hope you can restore that heater. 

F&J  I realize it is not an underseat heater.  I said that I had seen one in operation.  I did not mention that it was  LaSalle but it was. 

I went on to share about my Buick with two underseat heaters and how great they were for heating the cabin and cooling the engine.

Two totally different thoughts.

12 hours ago, Peter P said:

Such a cool find. Might have been an option that was just not popular in the day. I cannot believe that no one took the air flow vents from the hood sides, not even a rat rodder.  Hope you can restore that heater. 

Peter, I am still sorting, storing, the most important pieces of this huge collection of parts cars and parts.  I will be bring the seat ass'y indoors today/tomorrow.  It will be restored...the fan still turns!  The grille area at bottom does have some "lost metal" do to rust, but I can repair it.  I am considering installing it in the rumble seat area of my 34 LaS convertible coupe....but have not figured out the conv seat back yet, as to if there would have been a bulkhead "behind" it's front seat back..

I have dozens of those hood "Vent-a-Ports" already, (as I believe they are called).

6 hours ago, Tinindian said:

F&J  I realize it is not an underseat heater.  I said that I had seen one in operation.

Hi, I am still unsure of your wording?  Did you see this type of "seat back-mounted" heater once before? 

Thanks, Frank

Yes, we were going to a Caterer's Picnic at Winnipeg Beach in 1948.  (Every summer for years the travelling salesmen in Manitoba hosted a Caterer's Picnic at Winnipeg Beach) The car we were riding in was a 1934 LaSallee.  Being a curious little kid I asked the driver what that thing on the back of his seat was.  He said I should guess and then all of a sudden I was able to guess correctly because he turned it on.  I thought that was neat because my Grandfather's Pontiac didn't have an heater at all so the front seat had some heat from the engine and the rear seat had no heat at all and any cars with heaters that I had been in only had heat in the front.