'24 Steering shaft

I am putting together the steering column parts on my '24 roadster. When I put the steering shaft down into the column, do I need to grease the top where the shaft fits into the column? Also is there a schematic showing the horn parts and their assembly?

Thanks

Thanks for the links. I have the diagram in my book but nothing shows how to connect the wire coming up the steering column to the top of the column.  I have a brass ring with a hole on the side. Does the wire attach to it? Is that enough? The horn button pointed end would then drop down to contact the center of the steering shaft. Would that be the total setup?

It sounds like you have it now....... :)

There is a "boss" in which to secure the wire.

The phenolic pieces keep everything electrically isolated until the horn button pin makes a ground and completes the circuit.

The horn wire is always HOT so disconnect the battery when fiddling with it....... :wacko:

I have assembled all the parts that I have acquired so far. I routed new wire from the brass ring ("boss"?) that rests on the shaft and for the pictures, I placed the horn button on the end. The shaft is loose and out of the column in these pictures. I still don't know if I have all the parts and still need to know if the portion of the shaft that is shown just outside the housing needs to be greased or polished. It seems as if it fits against a brass sleeve inside the housing shown in picture 2.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Looks good to me except for the brass "collector" ring to which the wire is attached....... :wacko:

That ring must be electrically isolated from the rest of the car.

As long as there is no metal to metal contact between the collector ring and column I think you're ready to scare people to death....... :P

I really appreciate your help, thank you. But, I still have the same 2 questions.

1. Do I lube the column where it fits into the housing, or polish it up for an electrical contact?

2. What is missing in order to isolate the ring from the rest of the metal column?

As you have seen your collector is of brass while the others are of a phenolic type material which, obviously, is non-conductive so I'm bowing out of this.

Someone else is going to have to chime in.

To answer your other question my rule is if it moves, lubricate it.

The steering column and shaft are both well grounded so that's not an issue.

Thank you again. My confusion was that this brass rests directly against the steering column and/or shaft. I was under the impression that " Phenolic" material was a compressed combination of resin , paper or plastic. Since the steering column is metal I failed to find any "Phenolic" content anywhere thus my assumption that I was missing a part.

Unless there is some kind of non-metallic sleeve inside the bore of the brass collector ring to isolate it from metal I see no way it can work.
The problem lies in my photo.

Horn1.thumb.jpg.b8ba60fcd10479bd6ce946a0

You might recall I had to make the green nylon washer to isolate even that from the steering wheel hub so....... .:wacko: