Big Eight fuel pump numbers?

ricosan

Hey Folks,

I've been searching for a couple of years now for a fuel pump to replace my ageing leaky pump.  The number on my pump is 855644.  I haven't been able to locate an exact match.  I've seen literally 100's that are the exact shape and size.   They look exactly the same on the outside except for the arm that goes into the engine and rides against the cam.  

Any help would be appreciated.  

Anyone know how to interpret the numbers?

ricosan

Good Morning oldford,

You say if it looks the same on the outside, the arm only need be changed?  I know that the big eight engine requires a lot of fuel.  Do all AC pumps of that particular size and shape pump the same volume of fuel? I have my eye on a nice looking one but I don't know what it was originally intended for use on.  If I can just change the arm that's good, but I am still hoping that I can find a full replacement that I can carry with me on road trips.

ricosan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,some info on AC pumps to consider.....most AC pumps use only 5 different arms so arms can be salvaged from other pump types to repair yours..my Marmon uses a type B pump and these were very common(early Chev 6 for example) so most parts can be scrounged-you just need your body to get the correct config for fuel inlet-outlet...the new type diaphragms are available and fit all pumps...a simple kit of parts supplies springs and seals....If your really stuck,I may be able to scource a pump for you from a fellow locally that has about 5,000 pumps in two tractor trailer trailers..he has most.....Vic!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Vic,

Sorry for the late response.  I just got back from a trip out to the "Canyon Lands" of Utah.  Awesome sights!  Here is a photograph of the arm on my pump that's on the engine now.  I would takethe pump out and get a better picture but my car is 300 miles away.  

That would be great if you could speak to your friend.  He may have an AC book that will tell us just what the numbers should be on the arm.  

rick

Fuel Pump Arm.jpg

fuel pump 4 copy.jpg

pump 3 Copy.jpg

Hi,thanks for pics-Ok,the original pump number for a Big 8 pump was 855745(also used on the 8-79)-this number was only used during the period these cars were available,in fact,Marmons were dropped completely from later editions of the AC catalogues..both type B and type D pumps were available with the same config of inlet-outlet and if you still have the original carb-then you have to have a config exactly like your current pump otherwise you run into the carb..my car has a different carb which points left so I can retrofit different configs because more room...the arm on your pump is quite common so not too hard to locate an interchangeable bottom(they are mostly interchangeable) that will work for your top section(mix and match)..I can probably scource a bottom section(if you have an original type B with the removable hatch to the springs) that will get you a good flange-have a few here right now, and then get new parts to replace the inner parts...I am going to use a type D(bottom different) because it has the correct arm and flange,just not the same internal mechanism....note that if you run into an AC pump in a box with a X in the 3-4 digit number-this ia a factory rebuilt with all new internal parts-good way to get new internal parts..understand that using the original mechanicxal pump may lead to vapor lock unless you attempt to cool the pump-these big 8's were very prone to that but that's part of the "Charm" of the original cars..they had their issues....Vic

Good Morning Vic,

I'm trying to put together a spare pump to carry with me traveling to our next muster.  My mechanic says I need one.  I've been searching for a model B pump that has the right arm for quite a while.  I bought a model B a couple of weeks ago (not with the right arm) but it looked brand new in the photographs but when it arrived I found the bottom was full of hairline cracks.  I am still looking for a descent model B pump.  If you have a good model B pump I would be very interested. The activating arm number looks like 656A but I can't really be sure.  It's a long one.

rick

Ok,not clear from your pics which base you have-appears to be the early type B-check my attachments to verify.....I know someone with a number of NOS arms and probably can fit you up with a correct arm,notice the correct arm number is 5654 but not all arms are marked....do you still need a good base without the flange broken?...if so I can provide this as well....The only complete,rebuilt(factory) pump I have is the one I will use on my car-it's a type D but all correct otherwise..maybe someday I'll do a article on the in's and out's of these early fuel pumps....Vic!

Photo09251233.jpg

Photo09251137.jpg

Ok,from your e-mail I can get soon an arm that works on the early base....fellow is in Vancouver and currently ill so when he's well,I will try to get an arm for you-he has AC kit boxes of pump parts...I can supply a bottom less bits as long as having the top offset is not a problem-depnds on your carb config....I have no complete original layouit pumps-just found one for myself that,although offset,has correct arm and will work with my carb..will be looking over a pile of parts from an estate with many early B pumps-hopefull some good configs may be in the pile...so,hang in there and we'll both get the pumps we need

• 2 months later...