My next project:- 1924 AMILCAR

Hello John

I am told that all the sheet metal comes with the car although as can be expected after 104 years less than perfect. I will have to build a complete body frame which is one reason I prefer the two seater to the five seater. Added to this I have enough black leather in stock to trim the two seater. We will know a whole lot more in ten days time after Helen and I have been to South Australia to inspect the remains and hopefully buy the 'umber.

If all goes to plan I should have it all home in two/three weeks time.

How things have changed in that 100+years.

Looking at the 1912 Price list. The basic two seater car cost £280.

With Hood (top), Windscreen, Horn, Acetylene head lamps, Electric side & tail lights, Spare wheel & tyre £295 That is a lot of extra equipment for just £15. Today in the UK you would be lucky to buy a single serve of Fish (cod) and potato chips and a half pint of beer for £15.

Bj

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Welcome to the world of brass cars Bernie... they take a lot of improvisation and imagination, especially when they are in bits, but I think the Dixie Flyer more than qualifies you for the job. If you don't know about this... dig up a copy of The Book of the Motorcar by Rankin Kennedy, CE. It's British, 3 vols published in 1913 and a 4th published in 1921 (which covers developments that resulted from the war). It's good, basic British car engineering, probably aimed at the garage trade. I bought mine in the UK last year for £20, which is probably on the low end, but you should get it in any case.

Good luck,

Joe P

Thank You Joe

I have just ordered a copy of vol 1. I will have to look for vol 2 & 3. I will not know if the Humber is mine for another 10 days but unless it is an absolute disaster it is as good as mine. One thing about buying basket case cars, you don't have to skin your knuckles pulling them apart. I just hope that there are no nasty surprises. In some ways it is like flying by the seat of your pants. I already have lots of patches in my pants so it cannot be so bad. I am sure I will get lots of guidance along the way. Certainly there will be one or two people looking over my shoulder.

Bj

Humber two seater  36.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Thank you Joe

I now have Vol 1 and 2 on their way to me. My good friend Mel has the answer to how to transport all the loose bits from South Australia to our home in Victoria. We are all organised to go and look at what is the remains of the Humber next week end. My main task now is to keep my fingers crossed until then. Our son Steve has come up with the next photograph which shows W G Tuck driving a Humber at a 1912 Hillclimb in England. W G Tuck was the designer of both the Brooklands Record Breaking car and the 1914 TT cars.

Bj.

108031.jpg

We are now Flying to Adelaide, South Australia, on Thursday, looking at all the assorted Humber parts on Friday and hopefully purchasing them before we return home on Saturday. All being well to avoid any further confusion I should start a new thread early next week devoted to the 1912 Humber 11hp.

Bj

• Like 1