Another Victory/ IT RUNS!!!!!

And Now for my next installment-----<BR> My friend the Machinest was here to help! <BR> We spent about 3 hours sorting thing out(like haveing to go get a new coil to go with the rebuild distributer, fixing couroded contacts and wires, etc).<BR> NOW It will start right up and purrr!!!!!<BR> MY 1928 Studebaker Commander BIG 6 four door sedan is NOW a driveble car!!!!!<BR> In the next 2 weeks the key switch will be fixed, I hope, The mirrors will be installed, It will get a new silinoid so the voltage bypass to the starter will work properly, and as a treat My baby will have a brand new battery of her very own.<BR> THEN My pretty automobile will be a road worthy car!!!!!!!<BR> Oh yeah I also will re-pack the water pump.<BR> But I don't know where I'll find the $200+ i'll need to get some plates out'a DMV this month. (BUT, NEXT MONTH IS COMMING!!!)<BR> Ok now YOU start a NEW topic and tell us whats is going on with you and your pride and joy!!!!

Hey, Plates? You need $200 for DMV?, Hell, just slap some old '28 plates on that puppy and drive it! You really think the Police pay any attention to the plates on an old original car? I've been driving mine for years with original plates and not having to give the blood sucking government any licensing fees, Hell, for the amount of times you drive the old car, why bother. And if your really strapped for cash then just drive it with the old '28 plates until you get the cash. Why let the governments desire to pick your pocket deprive you of enjoying your car?

jimmy it is a good job you dont live in the uk you would be fined wheel clamped and if you still dont pay your car CRUSHED come over and join us in the uk ......!!!!!

#1 Jimmy D At first thought you were my brother Jimmy, you're not. So, nice to meet you.<BR> The any 1928 plate idea is a good one except, a pair of 28 Calif. plates at swap meets are going for $100-$200 around here anyway. I just can't ever get a break!<BR>#2 Greg Crush MY CAR, Bite your tongue!!! I really want to visit the UK some day (See my roots and ancestery)But this fines and crush a perfectly good car stuff is about as smart as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!<BR> Good to hear from you greg.<BR>#3 Mark I hope so I'd realy love to go for a ride with a group of other REAL Stude's!! Don't get me wrong the Hawks and larks are good cars, But I like our special ones better. <BR> From ME<BR> Richard

Richard,<P>Congratulations! Get it out on the road and USE it. BUT GET IT REGISTERED FIRST! No, I haven't been stopped by the police for traffic violations, but numerous times just to look at and talk about the car. What an embarrassment if they ran the plates (as they do as a matter of course) and found them unregistered. Plus of course, the insurance, and since you are going to use the car as a taxi, it BETTER all be legal and insured. Running a car with unregistered plates is in the same class as running red lights, illegal turns, mis-use of the HOV lane, or any other the other 'victimless crimes' we hear about. Just because you don't get caught doesn't make it right. Our great country was built on the premise of doing the right thing whether or not someone else is watching you. Let that clown move himself and his unregistered cars to China, or North Korea, or Cuba or Pakistan. If he doesn't like our laws and our government, he can leave.<P>I'm going to a local swap meet this weekend and I can look for a pair of plates for you. I recently paid about $40/50 for a DMV clear, clean set of 1922 plates. They needed no restoration, just a good cleaning. Let me know ASAP.<P>Neil

Just lurking hear because I don't have a Studebaker. My Mom's family always had a Studebaker when she was growing up in the 1930s. Does that count? smile.gif<P>Re: Not registering the car -- I was out for a drive to a picnic on July 4th when a Suburban attempted to make a left turn at the last minute from the right lane. He might have made it except my 1933 was in the way. He sped off and we did not get his plate numbers correctly. Anyway, I am glad that I had a properly registered car, as well as my license and my insurance documentation with me for the police to see when they took the report. Moral: Just because you are a good driver and are doing nothing to arouse official attention does not mean accidents don't happen.<P>re: California Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates. I found I could get a set from eBay cheaper than I could from a dealer at a swap meet. For 1933 plates I paid $35 plus shipping for a total of $40. The best deal I found from plate dealers was $60 for crummy ones and up to $100 for better looking ones. Just be sure to call DMV and verify the numbers on the plates are not in use (i.e. "clear") if you buy from a private party. Dealers should be able to guarantee the plates are clear. I have some details on <a href="http://www.ply33.com/misc/yom.html">my web site</a>.<P>Congratulations on getting the car running again. I know how good that feels.<p>[This message has been edited by TodFitch (edited 08-16-2000).]