1952 Buick 320 heat riser flapper...not stuck, but not moving...

krinkov58

Hello all; the flapper on my 1952 Buick Roadmaster's heat riser does not move regardless of heat.  Stays with the weighted top section of that wheel (on the right hand side of the riser) at the closest position to the engine block which I understand is the "heat on" position?  Shaft is free and moves with extreme ease.  If somebody has a working heat riser flapper and thermostatic coil, can you post a pic as to how the coil looks?  I think perhaps mine might be installed wrong.  It doesn't look new but is not crudded up either.  

Okay never mind!  I got it...coil was on screwy, so the end of the coil was pushing away from the stud instead of against it.  It does open until the weighted section of the wheel is at around 12 o'clock, and then back to near the engine block when it cools.  So I guessing all is kosher there, although it does not operate gradually but instead pings into position in two steps.  Almost as if the tension in the spring has overcome the weight of the wheel suddenly.  But as long as it moves I'm happy.

So I've been working on this car for most of the summer and have gotten most everything working...the exhaust leak is finally taken care of.  I was having major stalling issues for the longest time, especially at higher throttle it would just die.  Went through the fuel system slowly, the carb, Moraine filter, etc.  Pulled the fuel bowl off of the pump and there was about 2 teaspoons of rust particulate in there!  So it think it was just not pushing enough fuel (how could it?) through that doughnut screen to keep up at higher rpm's although it has always idled like a champ.  A phenolic riser under the carb has all but ended heat soak/hard starting after a hard run.  A vented gas cap replaced the non-vented one somebody thought would be a great idea to use.  So as yet I have not been able to get it to stall since finishing all this.  I have a car show next Saturday so hopefully everything keeps on keeping on.

• Like 1

Made it to the show with zero problems...no problems with stalling BUT I have noticed something a little odd...when I'm driving, usually after driving slightly fast around a corner (perhaps coincidence but worth noting) and then stop; if I gun the throttle the WCFB seems to bog down for a second.  Almost as if it's running momentarily rich.  But if I back off the treadle and give it throttle a little slower it responds as usual.  Does not do this, as far as I've noticed, if I am driving and suddenly accelerate.  Only from a dead stop as far as I can tell.  The accelerator pump works fine looking down the throat of the carb, 2 healthy squirts in a V.  

Maybe I'm not letting it warm up for long enough?  I seem to notice this usually a few minutes into driving,,,

post-150216-0-77049300-1441509300_thumb.

post-150216-0-28793600-1441509316_thumb.

Just want to say that's a gorgeous Buick!  My personal favorite in colors!

As to the bog, I can't answer for certain.  I can only report that my Rochester 4 bbl on my 56 has a similar momentary bog just as you describe except it does not happen when the car is cold, just when it's warm.