49 Windsor won't start

Guest Leroy

Guest Leroy

My car won't start new parts galore battery ,batt cables ,coil ,points ,condenser ,plugs, wires, it'll crank over plugs have spark but won't fire in cylinder ?? It's getting fuel I can smell it in cylinder . I bypassed ing. Switch direct feed from batt. To coil it now fires but is too early need help

post-153570-0-16750700-1433175722_thumb.

Use huge battery cables. The new ones for modern cars wont work.

You might try jumping from a 12 volt to confirm or deny this.

Positive to positive on the batteries, It will seem backwards with your original positive ground car. Just make sure that the bumpers are not touching each other.

Don't know what you mean by to early.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Guest Leroy

It fires plug before piston get up on compression making it hard to turn over I am getting new cables in the mourning .i am familiar with 6 volt with all my old tractors but this flat head is kicking my butt

To start you need:

Fuel, as an air/fuel mixture delivered to the cylinders

Compression

Spark

Timing. 

I would look at the timing, and would reset the distributor. 

Remove the spark plug for #1 cylinder, hold your finger over the hole and bump the starter until you feel air pressure, then find and set Top Dead Center on the timing marks. Mark where the #1 spark plug wire (cast in the cap)  lines up on the body of the distributor--Turn the distributor until the rotor points at that location, then turn the distributor in the opposite direction of travel until the points just break. Lock down the distributor, and it should start, then fine tune the timing with a timing light.