racer2_uk

1913 36 model 17 in the UK

Evenin Barry and all,

Sorry again for the lack of updates, life seems to take over sometimes,

Barry, the Alton I was in is the Staffordshire Alton, this is where the famous Alton Towers theme park is based, it is a really nice village with several pubs including my favourite the Bulls Head.

As usual I have been working on various projects including removing a set of pistons that were seized in their bores, this an engine for another project but I thought I would show you how I managed to pull the rusted-in pistons from the block, I put the block in the bonfire and got it nice and hot then used the ram from my press along with a few laser cut plates, my assistant Jack and out they came.

251855502_pistonremoval(7).thumb.JPG.4ad652e77d03923ea14edbe8281e8a13.JPG

1962268693_pistonremoval(13).thumb.JPG.0e70254e2797aaeb0be3987c2b0623b1.JPG

A couple of weeks ago we took a ride out to Great Haywood for lunch near the canal,

1131209258_GreatHaywood(1).thumb.JPG.8d592a377ce75a800d3993d240eb2ff4.JPG

it was a lovely day but the Chalmers wasn't happy on the road and seemed to get very hot and ran quite erratically, when we came to leave the engine would not start, I did just about everything I could think of, when I tried to flood the carb the fuel seemed to "boil" in the float bowl, very concerning indeed, I removed the plugs that were very overheated with gaps way to wide, I re-gapped the plug's and after letting the engine cool down I managed to get it started, we headed for home with a rather unhappy running engine.

Thinking back to when the problem started I realised that I had filled the tank with fuel just before the poor running started, when we got home I drained the tank and refilled it with fuel from a different petrol station, after this had been done the engine started and ran beautifully and has done so ever since, I have sent a fuel sample away to be checked, watch this space for the results and always be aware of poor fuel.

Today I drove out to Audlem which is a favourite even now when the temperature has dropped,

776063794_AudleminNovember(1).thumb.JPG.165be5ee402edce62abc58565ddbb4e5.JPG

on my way back I stopped at Woore church to look at the sculpture of a WW1 soldier that has been made to commemorate the end of The Great War,

184656191_WooreWW1soldier(5).thumb.JPG.37c294ec395cda871c46639fdb63a765.JPG

with over 3100 miles traveled over the year I think the temperature has now beaten me, the warm workshop beckons with the rebuild of the spare Chalmers engine up first.

Andy