Power Steering

Guest JETCOBOB

Guest JETCOBOB

My power steering pump, or 1 of the hoses for that matter, is leaking. It makes a whirring noise when you turn the wheel. I've topped the ps/fluid, but it still makes the noise. The question for me is, do I replace the pump or rebuild it. I don't want to be a cheapskate on this so, if I need to, I'll replace the pump with a rebuild. Of course I'm going to replace the hoses just to be on the safe side.

I've looked through the Riview and didn't find a ps rebuilt/nos supplier. I did find kits to rebuild at classic buicks.com. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Henley #8992

63 riv

Hi Bob,

Try replacing your leaking hoses first. It is a long shot, but you may be introducing air into the power steering system (which will cause noise) as well as leaking the fluid out.

An oring rebuild kit is available thru NAPA. This may not cure the noise as often the hard parts in the pump are the cause. You may need to eventually but another pump assembly. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Guest JETCOBOB

Thank you for the info Tom.

Was wondering if you can get the hoses from NAPA as well? I know it depends on how original I want to keep the car.

Again thank you for the reply!!

Robert Henley #8992

You might shop brands of power steering hoses. Some are much more original-looking than others are--some are pretty much universal-looking in the way they are built, especially if there's a change in the hose size in the middle of the hose.

A key issue with the pump is if the boost is still as good as it used to be or if it's not boosting as it used to. If the boost is still good (which you can check with a high pressure gauge, might need something over 1000psi), then the pump itself should be good.

A question might be IF you are using the correct power steering fluic which GM recommends for your vehicle? Using an incorrect fluid (although the container might state it meets GM specs) CAN cause the hoses to seep (which I found out from experience).

Sometimes, noises can be the result of "buildup" in the power steering system. Usually, a "power steering flush" procedure can take care of that. Or you can get the new fluid, then extract the reservoir's contents, adding new fluid . . . doing that a couple of times over the course of several days, can achieve similar results. There is also a Valvoline synthetic fluid which we have used to quiet rack and pinion power steering noises.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467