Removing a Flathead V8 from a '35 Phaeton

Hello all - just joined, this is my first post.

I made the huge mistake of trying to remove the oil pan from a '35 Phaeton without first figuring out how to do it. So, after several days, a whole new set of curse words, and the purchase of an engine lift, I finally got the oil pan out.

Found a tip somewhere online that you have to raise the front of the engine a few inches. Did that, but still couldn't get it out without reaching inside and disconnecting the oil pump. That finally did the trick and gave me the clearance I needed.

Now I'm faced with the prospect of replacing the oil pan and gasket. I'm assuming that if taking it out was this hard, getting it back in is going to be a nightmare. Since I already have most of the engine prep done, am I better off actually pulling the engine to replace the oil pan? If so, what's the best way to do it? I'd rather leave the trans in, because of space restrictions in my garage - I don't think I'd be able to get far back enough with the lift to clear removing the trans.

Any tips are appreciated, both on removing the engine and replacing the oil pan with the engine in place.

Thanks,

Nick

I haven't removed a pan with the engine in a car in quite a few years, but I will relate what I remember.

You have to drop the axle radius rods by removing the bolts holding the ball at the rear of the transmission. This will give you the clearance by the oil pump. You have already loosened the front mounts and raised the engine.

I seem to remember that the rear oil pan cork seal doesn't like to stay in place when trying to install the pan with the engine in the car. You can use high tack or a similar sticky gasket cement to hold it in place.

To remove the engine, you have to remove the hood, grill shell and radiator. Then remove the fuel line, wiring to the generator and ignition, the engine radius rods and the bolts to the transmission. Put a scissors jack under transmission to support it when you pull the engine. It will also help when you are putting the engine back in.

You might also post your question on the Early Ford V-8 Club forum at:

http://monkey.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~kes4/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

and the Ford Barn Forum at: http://fordbarn.com/

Thanks, guys. I posted the question to the Early Ford V8 forum, but I think I got enough of an idea how to do it from Tom that I'm going to pull the engine. If anyone has any suggestions for what I should look out for as I'm doing this, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks,

Hi Nick: I just joined the forum and yours is my first reply.

I well remember my first attempts at early V8's,16yrs old-1948 and ever sence.

It is possible to pull down the wishbone and sneak the pan out around the pump and such but it is much more straightfolward to pull the engine. You will find this so whel you try to get the pan gasget on tight. Hard enough without laying on your back.

Remove hood,radiator,generatorand as a caution the carb.Don't want to bang up a nice Stromberg. When you are free of the tranny adjust your lift to hold the eng at a steep pitch and up she comes!

My first was a '35 Woodie. Sure wish I still had it! Good luck.(peice O' cake) Ed M (mebgbvr)

Thanks, all. The engine is out, and now I have a question about using an engine stand to do the work.

I've never mounted one of these engines on a stand before, so I'm a little nervous. Do I use the same holes as the transmission mount? I'm worried because there's only a half-circle on the back end that looks suitable to connect the stand, it looks like with all the weight of the engine I'm going to crack the clutch housing.

Also, are there special bolts I should use?

Thanks for any help you can give.