Performance Packard Heads

Guest BigKev

Guest BigKev

There is a current thread on the PackardInfo.com website in regards to the Packard Heads made by Empire Motors Inc in El Paso, TX.

If anyone has an comments or outstanding issues with Empire, the president of that company has offered to handle them directly.

I know there have been issues in the past with Empire. But they have several new products out for Packards, so I am trying to seperate fact from rumor, see if the new stuff from Empire is as good as they claim in is. I belive the company changed hands a couple of years ago and so far the new President was been pretty responsefull in my queries to him.

So as not break any vendor related rules on the AACA forums, here is a link to the current discussion therad on the PackardInfo site. If anyone has anything (based in fact) that they would like to offer (good or bad), please feel free to do so that forum thead.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=592&forum=2

Thanks,

Guest imported_Speedster

When I wasn't sure what head was on the engine and weather it would work or not, I called Empire about a new aluminum head for my '29 Super-8, and they seemed Very helpful and friendly.

I got a quote of $2850. for a HA (high altitude) version, which is a slightly higher compression-ratio head.

Then tho it's not an original '29 head, that I have now, (It's a custom HC (high compression) from mid '30s probably), So far It seems that it's going to work, so I'll probably spend that money somewhere else.

http://www.empiremotorsinc.com/cars.htm

Guest imported_Speedster

I just found the Info he mailed, about the '29 HA head. He said that the original HA was only about 7.1 Comp-ratio, but he could go up to 8.5 ratio, when casting it, if I wanted it (which should give about 30 more horse-power).

He also said that he didn't think there was a HC option in '29 (only the HA) and that they didn't come out with the HC head designation until '32. I think they were both about the same Comp-ratio but were just Called different Name after '31? Can anyone Verify that ???

Guest imported_Speedster

I was curious about how they achived the higher Comp-ratio, so I called Dave Johnson at Empire. They do parts for many cars but it seems that Packard is a favorite of his also, so he liked to talk about them. We talked a long time about various Packard engines and the parts they have made for them.

He doesn't presently have a '29 HA head to use as pattern but he's sure he can get one, they have some for '30 thru '36 tho. He said they could actually go up to about 9.1 C/R, but 8.5 was a good safe ratio. It would not change the length sparkplug needed and they could machine it for any type sparkplug we wanted.

They were doing a '54 Packard head with 9.1 C/R.

They can put the tapped hole for Heater-hose valve anywhere wanted, (on top or side).

He's going to mail some pictures of the modified combustion chamber, etc.

They also do wood parts, like top bows, I just found out.

(as long as they have some to make patterns from)

• 1 month later...

Empire Motors/ Don Johnson [aka Valor Blazer] is not a good place to leave your money. Many good folks have been ripped off. He got me for $5000. I have a long list of others as well. check with the BBB and the ElPaso County Civil records or Detective Martinez at 915 546 2275. Signed Don Livingston, Austin Minn

Guest imported_Speedster

Don,

I was led to believe that Empire was now under New management? Is Dave Johnson the same one that's always been there? I noticed that you said Don Johnson, is that another person?

Guest imported_Speedster

Okay, Thanks for the Info.

If they don't have new management, there's no way we can tell if they have 'Changed their Ways' or Not.

I hope you eventually get your parts or your money back.

Do you think that may be possible?

What's the reason Empire gave for not completeing the work?

Valor Blazer answers the phone and tells me repeatedly to call his lawyer Mr Elias. Mr Elias tells me he doesn't represent Valor Blazer anymore. And the lawyer is geting crabby at me for callin . Blazer won't build the stamping die I hired him to make in January of 05. Blazer said at the time , he could make it in 30 days. I could write a book on him ,and all the trouble he has caused people.

Don L.

ph 507 433 0073

Guest imported_Speedster

Don,

You never said if Empire gave a Reason for not Completeing the work ??? We would like to hear a little of Their Side of the story before making a decision on this.

FYI

There has also been on going converstaion on Empire the PackardInfo forum thread I posted above. I was trying to keep to the Empire good or bad discussion contained over there to keep everything with the realm of the AACA forum rules on discussing vendors.

All experiences good or bad is helpfull, and there was a new one today added by a gentleman over there.

Guest imported_Speedster

Kev, I hope you don't mind me copying this post from your site: (I want to get Both sides posted here Also)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I spoke to Ron who is the president of Empire and who owns 100% of the company stock. Here is the back story:

Ron purchased the assets of the old company "IFT", at a government BK auction 2 years ago. He said that customer service is there number one priority, because when you are selling $2,000 dollars heads, good referals are the only thing that count. Upon purchasing those assets it was rolled under the Empire Motors Inc name.

Currently they are producing over 60 different automotive heads that they sell. Most of their business comes from governent and private contracts for items where they do all the foundry and machine work (varous automotive and non-automotive items), but do not sell themselves. They also do alot of architectural items.

He said that after buying the assets of "IFT" they did fullfill any outstanding orders for heads that were in the system, at their loss. Remember that the previous company would have already been paid for them before they went into BK.

All in all I spoke to Ron for over an hour. He told me about the extensive machinery they have, and about the upgrades they are doing to the on site foundry equiptment.

He said that he is often asked about problems people have heard about Empire, but he said no one can give him the name of any customer that has not been completely happy with any head, manifold or other part produced by Empire. He said that any problems may have been under "IFT" mangement, and has been passed back and forth as heresay more than fact. One of the those friend, of a friend, over heard something at a car show type situations.

He did tell me that have several new heads coming out for the Packard, and they currently can have the tooling in place to produce just about any Packard head from the 1920's throught 1954.

Also they can customize the lettering on any of the heads. So if you want it to say "Packard" in script or block, or say "Edmunds", or "H/C", "H/A", "Thunderbolt", "327", etc. The cnc machine is all setup to support all those different variants.

They have also invited various car clubs down to tour their facilites. The Cat(erpiller), and Lincoln clubs have already toured. They were also involved in casting the broze plaques that were given away to the major donators that helped out with Proving Grounds restoration.

Just more food for thought for those that are interested.

I hate to see a company that is actually producing performance parts for the Packards cast in a bad light for something that may have happend under a previous owner. Kind of a blaming the son for the sins of the father I guess. Obviously if anyone has any real contradicting information, I would be glad to hear about it, and have it posted here for everyones benefit. </div></div>

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...