1924 Cadillac V63 Value

TexRiv_63

I am considering the purchase of a 1924 Cadillac V63 sedan in decent original condition. I have never owned a true antique or classic car and was surprised at the lack of information available on the web regarding the realistic value range compared to that of newer cars. Prices of cars at dealers, Ebay and in classified ads seem ridculously high compared to the few sources I did find, and most seem to not sell very fast. I know that the base sedan models are worth much less than the open cars and coupes but the little information I did find also surprised me in that the older, pre 28 cars appear to be worth less across the board than the 29 to 35 models. I would appreciate any tips on sources for real - world valuation for something like this.

You misunderstand me and my motives. I am 58 years old and have been active in the car hobby for about 50 of those years. Growing up, my mother's car was a Model A Ford and my father took me to antique car shows early on. I do most of my own car work and have tackled just about everything over the years because I never had the money to farm out the work. Most of my hobby work was on 50s, 60s, and 70s cars because at the time I was working on them they were cheap and plentiful. I have made money on some of the cars if you just look at money spent versus selling price, but if you count anything for the hours of labor I lost my shirt on every one. My biggest problem is that I have historically bought cars for emotional reasons rather than practical - I currently have a 1963 Riviera because our next door neighbor had a new one when I was in Junior High and I always loved the style. I can already tell you I will never get back what I have put into that car but I really like driving it and just looking at it. So I think I am qualified as a "LEGITIMATE car buff".

In this stage of my life I finally have a little money and may actually be able to afford a beautiful antique car. No "Cold Turkey" jumping here, I have researched this car very heavily and am aware of the technology differences, I will not buy without riding or driving the car. My motive in asking about value is that for once I would like to combine a little logic with my emotion and maybe not get screwed financially like I usually do. In the end though, if I can't get any help with values I will probably still buy the Caddy anyway because I LOVE old cars.

You are rigth the Cadillacs of the early 2o's are worth less the 30's ones.

Although I'm not into your age of Cadillacs, I know them a bit I think a decent closed car, should be worth around 20 to 25 K. Doesn't matter if it's an older restoration, done properly, or an authentic one. A fine car to have/or consider buying. A complete paint, nickle and upholstery job will set you back at least 45 K, so a lot of car, if it's in good condition for an interesting price perhaps.

Good luck

Johan Boltendal

Cadillac 1930 and 1932 for 40 years now.

Thanks for the information and encouragement. One reason I am approaching this purchase carefully is the large amount of "unknown" for me with a car this old. The all-mechanical presence of it is fascinating to me but it is a drastic change from what I am used to. I probably would have bought the car already but when I went to see it last weekend the owner could not get it started. Actually he started it four times but it loaded up with gas and would not stay running. He is working on the carburetor and I hope to see it driving this weekend.

I went to see this car again over the weekend. The owner had rebuilt the carburetor and cleaned the filter screens, all four of them in different locations! The car ran well, he took me for a ride and I was able to drive it a short distance. As DaveBerg said, 45 mph was the top speed with the engine revving high but surprisingly smooth. The manual brakes and steering immediately gave me respect for old car owners and reminded me how coddled we have become with our modern cars. We had trouble with coolant leaking from the overflow tank and then the carb started acting up again when he put the car back in the garage. I was impressed enough to make him an offer but we could not agree on a price. I was disappointed but also a little relieved since I already have one project in work. I thanked the gentleman for letting me see and drive a rare beauty and I will continue looking for an older car. Thanks again to all who responded.

• 3 years later...
I went to see this car again over the weekend. The owner had rebuilt the carburetor and cleaned the filter screens, all four of them in different locations! The car ran well, he took me for a ride and I was able to drive it a short distance. As DaveBerg said, 45 mph was the top speed with the engine revving high but surprisingly smooth. The manual brakes and steering immediately gave me respect for old car owners and reminded me how coddled we have become with our modern cars. We had trouble with coolant leaking from the overflow tank and then the carb started acting up again when he put the car back in the garage. I was impressed enough to make him an offer but we could not agree on a price. I was disappointed but also a little relieved since I already have one project in work. I thanked the gentleman for letting me see and drive a rare beauty and I will continue looking for an older car. Thanks again to all who responded.

Hello, i had a 24 Cad 7 pax suburban project in the 90s that i sold to finance a hcs at the time. they are great cars and the interior of this one still had the curtains etc. i see the coupes etc for sale at times but always over priced in the 40 k range thus rarely sold. the v63 was radically for the newer style engine etc and believe the series ran for 1924 abd 1925. i would think any where in the 15 k to 22 k and you should be safe. they are not as desirable as some other marques of the same era but i still feel they had nice lines. i may still have a box of valves, engine stuff some where in the states for free if i ever confirm some time.

keith

keith123451@live.com