Dating Engine?

ericw

I got my freebie motor. It turns over by hand, a bit dirty but a start. The #8K1178767 is stamped on the block. Is this a 64 or later. The man who has helped me so far said I need a 64 or later so it will mate up with my Tranny. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

The 8 identifies it as an engine from an Electra 225. The K is the code for 1964.

Look on the other side of the engine (mirror engine left/right) for a 2 letter code. KW is a 425, KT is a 401. These will be stamped, not cast. (If it's not a 4 bbl engine, it will have a K with another letter code.) If you find something different, let me know and I'll figure it out for you. 64/5/6 trans will work with this block. The basic difference between the 63 and prior and 64 and later nailheads is the hub on the end of the crankshaft; I think there's also a difference in the way the starter mounts, but that's an easy fix. A 59 - 63 engine with a 64 - 66 crank will bolt to your 64 transmission.

Hey, Thanks. The guy helping me showed me both hub types and which one I needed but a few days later and a few less brain cells I couldn't remember which was what. The friend who gave me the engine was pretty sure it was a 64 and had said it came out of an Electra!! Thanks, I can now proceed. The engine was covered and sat for 30 years. the crank turned, a good sign. Eric

Ed, Thanks. I had looked at the page but wasn't quite sure what part of the code designated the year. I understood the 401, 425 etc. I am amazed at how many of the members here are in the Midwest. Eric