Sitting for 35 years

Ladies and Gents

The 1923 EK I purchased sat in a heated garage for 35 years without starting or driving it just sat there. The oil was drained and filled and drained with marvel mystery stuff and has always showed 5 lbs of oil pressure high idle and 2 lbs idle when hot. Now that it appears to be running well, starts right up, and is ready for fun I would like to run the engine and drain the oil a few more times, probably use some mystery stuff also. Anyone got some advise on flushing the oil system, pushrod cover removal revealed a good amount of sludge and indicates non detergent oil, all comments on oil appreciated.

Ken

Who needs non-detergent motor oil and why?

Your engine gets extremely hot after operating for a long period of time. Using non-detergent motor oil on your engine helps you combat high temperatures. Its primary function is to lubricate the engine and keep the internal parts of the engine cool. By keeping the temperature down in your engine, you ensure that your engine runs most efficiently. This also indirectly helps protect and extend the life of your engine

how about non detergent all summer and detergent in winter

Edited by 1927Chevy (see edit history)

Guest 37Dictator

1927Chevy....I would use detergent oil in my car after rebuilding the engine or cleaning it out ..... the Detergent keeps the oil from depositing sludge onto internal metal parts ...hence it does keep the engine cooler ...I would not switch between non detergent and detergent oil ...go one way or the other ...I would lead to detergent oil ...today

1927Chevy....I would use detergent oil in my car after rebuilding the engine or cleaning it out ..... the Detergent keeps the oil from depositing sludge onto internal metal parts ...hence it does keep the engine cooler ...I would not switch between non detergent and detergent oil ...go one way or the other ...I would lead to detergent oil ...today

I was told by a Studebaker expert to use non-detergent 30W oil in my Rockne and to put about 4oz. Of Marvel Mystery oil in every tank of gas. When I restored it I took the pan and head off and power washed the engine with mineral spirits, it had already been rebuilt. I packed the oil pump with lithium grease to prime it and I got oil pressure. Runs good except the valve covers and the manifold leak. Any suggestions on repairing the leaks.

Guest 37Dictator

I did a total rebuild on my engine and used gasket cement in addition to a new set of gaskets and torque wrench when reassembling...I have never been able to completely stop minor oil leaks and have come to accept that there will always be a some oil drips from the engine. for example on the valve covers there are two bolts to hold them in place ...I cannot get equal pressure around gasket edge so at times i will get some oil seeping. Part of the fun of owning a 30's era car