Chrome Plating '65 Clam Shells

Guest RivieraParadise

Guest RivieraParadise

Hey guys, new to this forum and wanted to see how you guys are refinishing your '65 clam shells. Ideally I would like to chrome them, but I assume you would have to dismantle the doors from the assembly? Would love to hear some tips from guys that have done this as I could easily drill out the rivets but have no idea how to reassemble them as some of them are wider/spaced, and pivot points as well. Also open to alternate restoration ideas.

Because I did not want a show car or get into the complicated job of removing and chroming I choose a different route. I removed the cathedral surround and using a small flat file, I filed all the recesses that had road rash, flat as possible and I carefully knocked off the high spots on the surrounding chrome. Now there are 2 ways to paint the recesses with cast blast color paint. One is to carefully bush on with a small 1/4" art brush the other is to get 1/8" and 1/4" 3 M tape (expensive about 17 a small roll but excellent quality) and mask the high areas of the chrome and cover the car and spray. If you remove all the old paint to the old chrome you will need to use and etching primer so it sticks to the chrome. FYI its the same steps if you take apart and re-chrome. Its up to you if you want a show car or a nice driver. The 3rd way is to find a better replacement set. There are even some NOS sets out there but they are very expensive.

Guest RivieraParadise
Because I did not want a show car or get into the complicated job of removing and chroming I choose a different route. I removed the cathedral surround and using a small flat file, I filed all the recesses that had road rash, flat as possible and I carefully knocked off the high spots on the surrounding chrome. Now there are 2 ways to paint the recesses with cast blast color paint. One is to carefully bush on with a small 1/4" art brush the other is to get 1/8" and 1/4" 3 M tape (expensive about 17 a small roll but excellent quality) and mask the high areas of the chrome and cover the car and spray. If you remove all the old paint to the old chrome you will need to use and etching primer so it sticks to the chrome. FYI its the same steps if you take apart and re-chrome. Its up to you if you want a show car or a nice driver. The 3rd way is to find a better replacement set. There are even some NOS sets out there but they are very expensive.

I am building a custom show car that will also be a driver. Everything else on the car has been triple chrome plated except the billet grill that I am installing, which has a polished finish. The clams are out of the car so they will be easier to work on. Maybe I can mimick the finish of the grille somehow, so they all flow together I would also be open to that. I could possible spray the whole assembly with a polished finish color, then mask the ridges and paint the recessed black? Appreciate the helpful suggestions!

Leave them attached to the scissor assembly, another words don't dissasmeble them by drilling out the rivitts leave them on and gave them chromed with the assembly on the clam shells , it's gell finding replacement rivitts plus it's so much easer to install

Guest RivieraParadise
Leave them attached to the scissor assembly, another words don't dissasmeble them by drilling out the rivitts leave them on and gave them chromed with the assembly on the clam shells , it's gell finding replacement rivitts plus it's so much easer to install

Are they able to be chromed with the doors still intact? I was told by one shop that they would have to be disassembled in order to plate them. That's the only reason I'm looking for other options. Thanks!