removing set knob 1st gen clock

riviadrian

I am attempting to repair the clock on my 63 using the discussions on this forum. The clock is removed, but I'm having trouble removing the set knob. I'm afraid of pulling and breaking it. I assume it's easy since no one mentions this in the discussions, just don't want to do anything stupid. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Adrian-

Post #12 in this thread touches on it. With the cover off the back of the clock, hold the stem with a small pair of pliers, just enough force to keep the stem from turning, then you can unscrew the knob from the stem. The rest of the thread details the hands, etc.

Ed

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/more-1963-trouble-331383.html

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Adrian,

Glad to hear you got some positive results. I'm also impressed that you related your success back to the forum. Many times advice is given and we never hear back as to whether the advice worked or a simple 'thank you.' Keep us informed as to other items with which you need help and perhaps you can share with us something new that you find.

From you ROA number, it looks like you're close to celebrating your first anniversary with the ROA. Hopefully it's been everything you expected. If not, let us know how we can improve.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I'm going to take the clock apart again this week to repaint the clock hands and the tip of the speedo needle. Pete Lempert said it made a huge difference on his car, so why not??

Now that I know how easy it is to remove everything, it will drive me bananas if I don't.

I renewed my ROA membership earlier today as a matter of fact. Good eye there Ed!

My next hurdle will be trying to find and replace the heat/ac control assembly under the dash. Frozen water temp valve caused the usual forced breakage.

I will definitely be looking here for help when I am ready to tackle that.

Thanks again!

-Adrian-

There's an article in the tech tips section on the ROA's website that explains how to make new control arms. On the same site, you'll find Jim Cannon's article on replacing the OE style mechanical water temperature control valve with a vacuum unit.

Keep us informed as to what extent you're going 'bananas.'

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)