SOLD: 1935 Buick 46C Convertible Coupe. 2 Owner's From New, Fully Restored and a Proven Tour Car

motoringicons

SOLD:

This 1935 Buick 46C Convertible is a wonderful car with a great story. There weren't many of these sold in 1935 and it is believed less than 10 exist today. When most new car buyers were purchasing sedans, this car was sold new to the owner of a local bank in St. Joseph, Missouri. Being the young, prominent, local figure that he was, Graham Lacy, Jr. was certainly in the position to purchase a "Sunday car" for pleasure purposes.
The local Buick dealer, Dill-Wood Motor Co. in St. Joseph was Mr. Lacy’s dealership of choice. He ordered his new car and had it well optioned including dual side-mounted spares with metal covers, heater, and radio. In addition, he purchased a grease gun, seat covers and tire chains.
Since he already had a sedan for winter use, the Buick convertible was annually placed in heated storage during the winter months. We have all the original paperwork including the sales order, invoice, title application, registration and the original title with the original envelope from the Secretary of State, the original Owner's Manual and the original Shop Manual. In addition, we have the Service Policy, tire and battery warranties and other interesting papers including lots of old receipts. We even have a never used leather key-fob with Mr. Lacy's name embossed on it and a copy of his obituary.

Mr. Lacy lived a long life and in about 1990, he sold his beloved Buick to vintage car enthusiast who also lived in St. Joseph, Missouri. He had known about the Buick and had tried to buy it for many years. The second owner immediately embarked on a complete, frame off restoration on the Buick. It took three years to complete a total restoration. The body was removed, inspected, and found to need very little work. It was professionally refinished in Raleigh Blue. The interior was reupholstered with leather, the top was replaced, the chrome re-plated and the wood-graining refinished. The engine was rebuilt, the generator was replaced with an alternator, the radiator was re-cored, new tires were installed, turn signals were added as well as the second taillight. For additional storage, an original, period correct metal trunk with a full set of fitted luggage was located and restored to match. While the completed restoration was certainly show worthy, the owner’s restored the car to be a long distance driver-not a trailer queen. The Buick became a regular participant in several mid-western tours including many AACA and VMCCA Glidden tours. It has successfully logged nearly 20,000 miles from the time the restoration was completed until this year when the owners decided to sell the car due to their advancing age. Obviously, this car has proven to be a very capable driver while at the same time successfully showing itself to win many trophies including the VMCCA Gold Award of Excellence.

This car is ready for many more miles of long distance touring. It has been carefully used and always maintained both cosmetically and mechanically. The paint is extremely nice with only the expected wear that would be found on a car that has been enjoyed. The leather interior is excellent. The top has some light wear but is still extremely clean and presentable and has a matching boot. Mechanically, this car is just superb. It starts easily, runs smooth; the brakes and steering are responsive and accurate. This car is fast, nimble, easy to steer and just an absolute pleasure to drive. All of the features with exception of the radio are working, including the clock. The accompanying documentation that is included with the sale is absolutely impressive and details the entire life of this rare Buick from 1935 until today. This car has it all: rarity, presentation, reliability and a documented provenance from new. The price is xx,000.00 and the car is located in Jefferson, Wisconsin. Please call 734-730-4274 or email:
to schedule a viewing or for more information. Thank you.

<fieldset class="postcontent" style="margin-top: 5px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; word-wrap: break-word; "></fieldset>

post-31738-143142904308_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904311_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904314_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904317_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904332_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904342_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904354_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904368_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904381_thumb.jpg

post-31738-14314290439_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904401_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904416_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142904431_thumb.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I've seen this car on several Glidden Tours, and it is truly beautiful. I saw it the first time on the 1995 AACA Glidden Tour in Reading, PA. I've seen it since, but I can't remember exactly where.....probably the Branson, MO in 2004 or Gettysburg, PA or Huntsville, AL, or Staunton, VA. My mom & dad were driving a 1935 Model 41 when I was born, and I have owned one of those and drove it on three Glidden Tours. Unfortunately after I sold it a dealer got his hands on it and sold it into Spain, so it will never again be seen in the USA.