1955 Buick Special Front supension

Guest dons48

Hi all!

Well....hopefully I am in the right spot. I now own a 1955 Buick Special affectionately named "The Beast". I do have a picture of The Beast on the introduction page (posted yesterday). Anyhow..............I will be replacing the worn parts on the front suspension (upper/Lower control arm bushings, king pins etc.) soon, and I wonder if anyone has approached and survived this task without loss of limb, dog, neighbor etc.. Especially how to avoid being mauled by those big coil springs.

I have been turning my own wrenches for years (and hopefully I will continue for a few more years). However this will be a new zip code for me. Any sugesstions? Really appreciate the feedback.

Don

Excellent. The manual will walk you through everything. For front springs a good floor jack and common sense will do the job. The only thing I might add at this point if you are not using a lift then a GOOD set of 4 jack stands on a sound floor is essential for safety. As always if it seems like it might be unsafe it likely is. BTW, an impact wrench will almost certainly be required. Have fun. It's an interesting job.............Bob

Interesting job is probably a mild term. Have all the aforementioned tools. Wish I had a shop with a lift. But then again a pound of twenties would be good too. Thanks again Bob