Reatta door panel clips

Guest thepreacher

Guest thepreacher

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I came up empty after a couple different searches.

On older cars, one of the first things to go is the door panels, especially if they have been taken off at some point. The plastic gets old and brittle, and there you go. Mine have had almost all the clips broken, and instead of replacing them properly, the PO just screwed the panel to the door right through the vinyl! Well, I got some new panels, but the clips on them are also broken. I am looking for a source for the clips that are glued to the fiberboard door panels, and the plastic "rivets" that go into the receiver holes in the door itself. Any ideas? Do dealerships carry these? Anybody know of a source? Was a similar system used on different cars, so parts can still be found?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The plastic "pegs" are available, often in the Dorman/HELP! section. Also available in some hardware stores in the bulk bin speciality aisle. Last I check GM still had them and the rubber receiver grommets available through dealer parts counters.

The plastic clips on the back of the panel are a problem, as I don't believe they are available. There are also a few different types based on the depth and angle. I have taken to repairing these by using 3/4" wide brass or aluminum strip notched out for the peg and then affixed (usually with pop rivets) to the remaining plastic uprights. I usually add a second layer of metal strip to make an "envelope" and hold the head of the peg captive. It is a pain but the best solution I've found.

KDirk

Guest thepreacher

KDirk,

That sounds like a lot of work, but if they are not available, there is not much else you can do. I had noticed that they are different heights. Any chance you have a photo of what you did? Out of four door panels I have, only one of the clips is intact. :-(

W&E Company or Auveeco is where I get most of my door panel retainers from. I will check my books and see if I can find anything out

That would be great if you can find the plastic brackets that the plastic pins attach to!

The other alternative is to find someone who has a crappy door panel and is willing to part with the brackets. I have the panels I pulled from my '88 and was tempted to throw them away because they are in such bad shape but now I think I will be keeping them if for no other reason than the brackets. I have an '89 and a '90 that could use them.

John F.