Time to pull the engine on our 39 Special 40. Cowl & fender removal

Guest vt39

Time to pull the engine on our 39 Special 40. Can the front "nose" be removed without removing the fenders? If it's better to pull the whole clip, which bolts need to come out? It looks as though the only anchor point in front is under the radiator. What about toward the rear?

I've taken 2 of these apart now. The only problem you may run into are the rear fender bolts that go into the cowl area body of the car (no nut on the other side). This area is prone to rust and often when you start to loosen the bolts, they just break the welded nuts loose and you have to cut them off I think there are 4 on each side, maybe 5. On my cars some came out, some did not.

All you need to do to take the entire front end off are those bolts, the bolts at the rear of the hood (easier to just take the hood off completely), the bolt you mention under the radiator, headlight wires (and other lights too if you have them of course), and a couple on the lower inner hood panel sides at the cowl (2 each side).

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Thanks everyone... She sure is a different animal than my 64 Chevy. Here is a pic of the underside of the fender. I see 4 bolts with fender washers and 1 with just washer and nut. Are these the ones?

post-100497-143142633096_thumb.jpeg

Yes, those are the ones. On the surface, yours look better than either of mine, so you may be in luck, but some of mine on both cars broke the nuts in the cowl and there is no way to get to them, we cut them out and addressed it during the restoration.

Get those out and the 2 that hold the lower hood panel to the cowl on each side, the hood, and the front under the radiator and you're set.