Chrome plating

Guest Tonk

Sure, as long as repairs or rust leave metal to plate on....if there's metal in the right places it can be replated numerous times...

Thank you, I apparently got some inaccurate advice. I was told that the bumpers had been replated twice and that they were base metal and could not be replated again. I have not been able to locate replacement bumpers in better condition than the current ones, so I had pretty well decided just to put the old ones back on as is. Hope now springs eternal . . . .

The chrome plating process itself does not harm the base metal, so not sure what that person was referencing by saying "they are base metal and can't be replated". If someone damaged the base metal by grinding or other means, then there might be a problem, but steel bumpers should not be an issue to rechrome numerous times. Good luck.....

Thank you, I apparently got some inaccurate advice. I was told that the bumpers had been replated twice and that they were base metal and could not be replated again.

Sorry, but that's a bunch of crap. Correct plating process electrochemically removes all plating materials down to the parent steel. Once you are at the parent metal, the bumper neither knows nor cares how many times it has been plated previously. Now, if you are talking to a plater who is not suggesting stripping the bumper down to bare steel first, then grab your parts and run, don't walk, to another plating shop.