power steering pump

Guest jojoejo

Guest jojoejo

1 have 1990 TC with a V6 engine. My car is on a lift. I have removed the pump from it's mounting brackets and dis-connected all lines and exhaust pipe moved to left side. There is NO opening on bottom of car to remove the pump. Please help anyone with info or has advice from doing this job. Please call me at

Joe 631-680-1049.

I remember my first steering pump replacement on a front wheel drive transverse mounted motor, I scraped most of my nuckles, yelled at myself. swore at the car and everything near me. Eventually I saw what I'd been looking at for hours without seeing and I figure it's 4AM where you are, you posted this about 5 hours ago and if you started about noon you should have scraped most of your nuckles, yelled at youirself swore at the car and everything near you and walked away in frustrated disgust at least twice, so by the time you see this you will have had the break you needed to process what you've been looking at and it has already occured to you that removing the pump pully makes the pump smaller and that the 20 year old motor mounts don't hold the motor like they did when new and you're wishing you had a screw jack, but you've already figured out how to use whatever you've got and you've finished what you started. My first pump took me 23 hours to change, I had limited hand tools and I didn't have a hoist, I did have good motor mounts as the car was only 4 years old, but I've been underneath plenty of older ones that don't and newer ones with good mounts where the pumps are 10 times harder to replace. When you go to talk about this in a bitching sort of bragging way, you will eventually tell this story to someone who has the special tool that pulls the motor forward and you will think --- if only --- the job would have been so much easier.

1 have 1990 TC with a V6 engine. My car is on a lift. I have removed the pump from it's mounting brackets and dis-connected all lines and exhaust pipe moved to left side. There is NO opening on bottom of car to remove the pump. Please help anyone with info or has advice from doing this job. Please call me at

Joe 631-680-1049.

After you remove the alternator, you will have plenty of room to pull it out the top. You might want to jack the engine up a little on that end in order to make more room. You do have to disconnect the right side engine mount from the body rail.

You cannot remove the pulley while the pump is in the engine compartment, I'm sure you have already found that out.