1964 Stude

Guest 1935du

Guest 1935du

Hello, I need a little advice about a car I am looking at. It is a 1964 Studebaker 2dr hardtop 289 engine. Not sure of model but I am pretty sure it is not an Avanti. It is 2 tone, White top and Black bottom. with a red bucket seat interior. I know we have all heard stories about cars in barns..Well this is one. I have seen it years ago and going by memory. It is in a one car garage that is falling apart. It has been in there since the 70's. The owner would not sell it. although I was there to buy a 55' Chevy at the time I did get it. I seen the owner today at the grocery store and asked ( you still got that old car in your garage ) he said yes.

I know I have not given much info about the car, very little really. But any input you can offer on the 64' model year would help. things to look for. I will post pics of the car today. We will be going to his house tonight. I have no idea of what to offer, I looked on Ebay but not many 64' Studebakers on there. Thanks..

From your description it sounds like a Gran Turismo Hawk (see photo). If so a very desirable car. Low production since Studebaker moved production to Canada in Dec 1963 and very few Hawks made after that. These cars prone to rust issues. If rust free or mostly so it would be a nice car to own. Get a serial number off the drivers side door hinge pillar and I can look up the production info on it.

post-30776-143142577115_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143142577115_thumb.jpg

Guest 1935du

Thanks, studeq. Did all Studebaker 2dr cars come with bucket seats? I will be heading into town soon. can't wait to see it again.

No, the Lark type cars including the Challenger, Commander and Cruiser did not unless specially ordered that way and these cars were not hardtops. The only 2 door hardtop model (no B pillar) was the Daytona (below) and it could be ordered either way.

post-30776-143142577803_thumb.jpg

post-30776-143142577803_thumb.jpg

Guest 1935du

ok got some pics finally. it is a Hawk GT it has P/S P/B been sitting in this garage since very early 80's no rust........

post-99057-143142582374_thumb.jpg

post-99057-143142582377_thumb.jpg

post-99057-143142582379_thumb.jpg

Well, it is not a '64 but a '63 GT Hawk. Not as rare as the '64. Apparently you did not get the serial # off the door hinge pillar as I suggested in my previous post? Limits what I can tell you about it. Looks like it has promise but sitting that long no telling what might be wrong with the engine (frozen) or the brakes etc. You say no rust. Did you look at the floor boards, trunk? Many unanswered questions. Did he quote a price.

Guest 1935du
Well, it is not a '64 but a '63 GT Hawk. Not as rare as the '64. Apparently you did not get the serial # off the door hinge pillar as I suggested in my previous post? Limits what I can tell you about it. Looks like it has promise but sitting that long no telling what might be wrong with the engine (frozen) or the brakes etc. You say no rust. Did you look at the floor boards, trunk? Many unanswered questions. Did he quote a price.

Yes, you are correct. I did forget the serial # Rookie mistake. I looked at floors, trunk, wheelwells everywhere I could get to. I found no rust. The brakes are most likely frozen up. We did not try to turn engine over. The owner had told us it was a 64' understandable mistake since he had not even looked at the car for so many years. We have not settled on a price, but $2000.00 seems to be where we are at.

$2000.00 seems to be where we are at.
Don't let him wash it or he will want $6000! :eek: (Cheap at that!)

If it is not already in your garage you are missing the boat!

Buy it quick! Then follow this missive. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

And join this club. http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp

Guest 1935du

Thanks for those links, I will do some reading. I am not a flipper and do not buy cars to resell. With that being said could you give me an opinion as to a value of this car. I understand a lot of info is missing here.