1941 LINCOLN COLUMBIA AXEL ON eBAY

From the pics it's hard to tell if it's a Hypoid rear end? Fords were not Hypoids. The brake line appears to be for a Lincoln?. You should get the measurements of the following" Axle tip to axle tip, and torque tube length. The '40 and older Columbia set ups will be about 2 " narrower axle tip to axle tip. I didn't see any of the controls listed, maybe I missed that ?

It looks to me like it's a hypoid ring & pinion, which would make it a Lincoln unit.

As Peecher correctly stated, the 1941 Columbia is about 2 inches wider than the earlier axles. However, a 1940 Lincoln Columbia can easily be converted into a 1941 by using your 1941 axles and left side axle housing. The hard part will be finding a 1941 Lincoln Columbia right axle housing. (That's what I had to do with mine, which was a 1940 "barn find" Columbia).

I have requested a photo of the Columbia serial number tag which should identify the year.

As usual, no controls are mentioned and are probably not available from this seller.

I have a comprensive photo essay of the installation of a Columbia axle in my 1941 Lincoln Continental at:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/581877140uEwMjI

The Columbia controls for Lincolns are unique and difficult to find these days!

post-31768-143138823009_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138823014_thumb.jpg

post-31768-14313882305_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138823053_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138823058_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138823062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

These are the responses I received from the seller's agent:

Question 1:

Dear ralyjoma94,

<O:pCan you please post a photo of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=Columbia</st1:City> serial number tag? It should be on a brass plate at the bottom of the <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pColumbia</st1:City> housing.

<O:pReply 1:

<O:pI didn't see a tag, but that doesn't mean there isn't one... Again, call Gene. If there is a tag, I'll swing by the shop and take a few pictures and send to you. Let me know what Gene says, or tell Gene to call me.<O:p

ralyjoma94<O:p

Question 2:

<O:pDear ralyjoma94,<O:p

Do you have any of the controls for this axle? VERY important items!

<O:pReply:<O:p

The axle was all Gene had me take pictures of, I don't know if there are controls or not. Call him Monday morning.<O:p

ralyjoma94<O:p

<O:p

For answers to any questions, please contact Gene between 9:30a-5:00p (EST) M-F at (734) 744-5045.<O:p

(Attached photo is of my "Barn Find" Columbia)

Phil Knapp

P.S. I don't intend to call "Gene" for answers to these questions. Anybody interested can make the calls. I'm watching this item for information only. I can't handle another Columbia right now!

The control problem can be bypassed for a driver in a number of ways - and isn't that what these cars are for anyway?

BTW: In the 60's I was driving a 1939 Ford convertible with a Columbia axle. I used my home-made electrical controls with a headlight dimmer switch under the clutch pedal. I could mysteriously shift the Columbia by pushing the clutch ALL the way down. This worked VERY well and produced 6 forward speeds which REALLY faked out my passengers!

Take a peek at my '39 Ford at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/18281656jhkDSUwrmg

post-31768-143138823241_thumb.jpg

It's been re-listed. ebay item nuimber is now 290668684730.

Ends on Feb 15, 201216:37:42 PST. High bid is currently $500. (Reserve not met).

"Gene says if the axle doesn't sell this time he'll go back to his original plan and put it in his '46 Ford convertible and that will be that".

My response to this idea:

"Gene is going to have fun installing this axle into a Ford! The driveshaft is too long for a Ford and the spring shackles are too big for a Ford. Also, Lincolns use a hypoid ring and pinion gear set. Ford ring and pinion set is not hypoid. Not insurmountable differences, but not an easy bolt-in!"

Actually, the only parts required to install this in a 1941 Lincoln are on the right side of the axle. That's where the overdrive is. All the rest of the parts are redundant and un-necessary.

post-31768-143138833067_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138833086_thumb.jpg