1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet convertible V12 restoration project

Guest Mike Lombard

Guest Jim Zephyr

That wood wheel is a really nifty exercise, I would contact Keith Lee and get the proper plastic one and make the car more attractive and desireable and thus more valuable. You can find photos on this forum. Keith Lee email is

knobsoup@gmail.com

Also agree with John Murphy, those optima batteries work awesome - I use them in all my cars - six volts, original V-12s

No need to monkeyshine the car just cause someone is over-thinking it.

Guest Mike Lombard

Jim, you're exactly right. But Mike doesn't really need the money, so his need for artistic expression ended up trumping the dollars and the desire for 100% original authenticity on the cosmetics.

I managed to get a few progress pics from Mike.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Mike Lombard (see edit history)

Guest Jim Zephyr

I really love this car! I especially like that a car that was pretty rough has been saved very nicely. The 40 and 41 Continentals are of the finest design, this is undisputed. No one has ever taken artistic expression with this car and succeeded. E. T. Gergorie and Edsel Ford got it right the first time. Raymond Lowey and Frank Lloyd Wright made modifications with out any impact. If I had a bottomless bank account I would undo the changes Wright made to the Cherokee Red cabriolet - those half moon windows look ridiculous. When in doubt, keep these cars as made originally.

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

Guest Mike Lombard
The "Before and After" comparison on this car is a tremendous credit to Mike, the craftsman. He saved a car that was destined for the scrapheap.

Thanks for the kudos!

5.jpg

Right click and choose view image to see full size pic.

Guest Mike Lombard
I really love this car! I especially like that a car that was pretty rough has been saved very nicely. The 40 and 41 Continentals are of the finest design, this is undisputed. No one has ever taken artistic expression with this car and succeeded. E. T. Gergorie and Edsel Ford got it right the first time. Raymond Lowey and Frank Lloyd Wright made modifications with out any impact. If I had a bottomless bank account I would undo the changes Wright made to the Cherokee Red cabriolet - those half moon windows look ridiculous. When in doubt, keep these cars as made originally.

Fair enough, Jim. I know this is an antique car forum, and not a custom car forum. Any variation from original specs is going to be a little bit heart breaking for the hardcore antique car enthusiast.

If a potential buyer wants an exact reproduction steering wheel instead of a custom hand crafted, one-off, oak wood steering wheel, Mike will be happy to accommodate them. Same goes for an exact reproduction paint job, or exact reproduction upholstery. Mike will be happy to make those changes for a new owner.

You will be happy to know that due to the input from this forum, Mike did (reluctantly) go with the 6V replacement battery.

6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Big Ugly 1982

Mr. Lombard you have done a beautiful restoration. I have a couple of questions because I am looking at purchasing a 1947 Continental from SC. do they have a complete frame or are they uni-body. I know the question may sound stupid but I also know that some early fords had uni-bodies like the Thunderbird.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Lombard
Very nice restoration, I am impressed!

Thank you, Joey, I'll pass that on to Mike.

- Scott

Thanks, Bigugly, yes the other posters are correct. It's a unibody. I know I called it a "frame off" restoration, but technically we could not remove everything from the frame because of the uni body welded construction.

post-72467-143142222457_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...