Unknown car skeleton in the woods

ksdaddy

Not much here to identify I'm afraid. But I'm betting someone will know; there's sure to be some little clue, or one blatantly obvious to someone in the know.

The brief story on this one is that in the summer of '68 (I think) a friend and I discovered this carcass in the woods not too far from my house. We were about 8 years old then. There was a 1925 license plate laying on the ground next to it, and also a 1922 plate, both of which I still have but of course they're just wrinkled brown metal. I took my uncle down there in 1977 or so and he couldn't identify it.

Today I decided to walk there and see if it was still there; to my amazement it looks exactly like it did 40 years ago. Like I mentioned, there's basically nothing left here, but if I can get permission from the current landowner I would make it a project to bring it home "just because". I'm known to have junk on display or strategically placed on my property just for conversation purposes.

I think it's a Dodge, maybe a 1920. Anybody care to guess? Here's the link to the page I created with 9 pics:

Click here for all mystery antique car photos

ant4.jpg

I reckon it is most likely Dodge 4, and early. You should look for an engine with the fan mount on the engine block rather than on the cylinder head. I would say it is likely to be before 1921, and may even be as early as 1916. What is there is the hardest stuff to find, because other parts are more often saved and stored. You could very likely rebuild an authentic car from what is there if you work at it.

Ivan Saxton

Thanks for the responses. I did some googling for pictures of 1916 to 1922 Dodges and one thing stood out... forgive the vernacular, but where the front fenders meet the frame on all the 16-22 Dodges, the sheet metal of the fender meets the very front tip of the frame rail. The sheet metal's shape as it goes down to meet the frame on mine is markedly different. On my woods find, the fender's sheet metal falls short by several inches. On a lark I googled pics of 1915 and 1914 Dodges and the pics show the fenders meeting the frame at the same point.... so this one could be earlier than 1916 yes? The first pic shows my fender, the second a 1915 (which looks the same) and the third pic shows typical of what I found searching 1916 to 1922....

2ly1u20.jpg

dzi2oy.jpg

35217ar.jpg

Look to be an early Dodge. 3/4 ellitical springs in the rear. The correct license plate holder on the spare. the spare attachment arms are different than my 1919 and the way the rear fenders attach to the body tub 'flange' means that it is definietly earlier than 1918/19.

Since there is no motor, see if you can read any numbers off of the fram cross member directly in fron tof the front passengaer seat (or where it would have been). If you post that number - many can tell you exactly (what month/yr) when this car was made.