Rebuild brake booster in 54 New Yorker

My 54 New Yorker had been sitting 15 years and had no brake fuid. I put fluid in but after 4 quarts I realized something was wrong. The brake fuid was flowing back through the vacuum line into the engine. So I guess I need to rebuild the brake booster. I just ordered the Chrysler repair manual but need to wait a fews days for it to come in the mail. It may be of help. While I am waiting, can anyone help with suggestions on what I need to do.

Rookie

Guest pbowers

When you get the Chrysler manual you will be impressed with the detail of the documentation. I have this on the list for my repairs for my 1954 Crown Imperial. (Car was given to me by someone who was going to junk it!) There is some discouraging languarge like, "The air and vaccum valves require careful adjustment ... This adjustment should not be attempted in the field ... if after all of the above service procedures are carried out .. return it to the factory for investigation and repair."

It's an interesting little piece of equipment hidden up under the front seat behind the master cylinder. I wonder if you can bypass it?

Guest De Soto Frank

It is a Kelsey-Hayes "remote-type" brake booster, similar to the "Bendix hydro-vac" that used to be used on 1.5 & 2-ton trucks in the '40s through '60s...

It is possible to "by-pass" it, although you will certainly miss its help !

You might try visiting the Imperialist website to see what resources are available... there are places out there that re-build them.

If the brake booster is passing that much fluid, I would expect that the entire system needs to be carefully inspected, and probably rebuilt...

Good luck !

About 10 years ago I had a 51 New Yorker with a bad booster. The local auto parts store sent it away to a brake booster rebuild shop and it came back in 2 weeks as good as new. It was not cheap, around $250.

They still make similar boosters. You might be able to buy a new one that would answer, if you don't care about authenticity. It would cost about the same.

The check valve on the intake manifold should be inspected while you are at it. Mine turned out to be defective.