leveling my 49 Windsor

grog

My 49 Windsor hangs about 2" low in the rear and would like to raise it back to level, I don't want to replace the leafs due to cost, I was thinking on either, making new leaf/frame brackets (I due tool&die) or adding air shocks and raiseing it that way, not sure what would be the best solution of the two. thanks Mark

Take it to a spring shop. They will rearch the springs, put in an extra leaf to bring the spring back up to strength, replace the sliders and rubber bushings, and generally make them like new. All for $200 bucks or less. How can you beat that for a deal?

Ask around the local garages to find the best spring shop in your area.

You should also put in new shocks all around. It won't make the car sit higher but it will ride like new. A front end alignment won't hurt either. You would be surprised how nice an old car drives when everything in the steering and suspension is up to specs.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

You may want to be sure the sway bar bushings are in good condition as well....it will help the front end from "slamming" as you go around a corner, especially if it is at the bottom of a hill.

BvR

Guest De Soto Frank

If you install taller rear spring shackles, the spring will continue to sag, and you increase the risk of breaking the main leaf. Plus, it looks really tacky... ( used to see lots of '60s-'70s Valiants and Darts with "reverse-arch" rear springs... it's a real "Grapes of Wrath" sort of fix...)

I have tired rear leafs in my '60 Windsor... I put a set of Monroe air-shocks under the back end this summer, and they have done what was needed. It takes about 20 # of air to level the car.

That cost about $80.

By the way, MoPars didn't seem to issues with saggy rear springs until they started extending the trunk way out past the rear-axle, starting with the '49 models...

I've never liked the "re-arch & add-a-leaf" because it stiffened-up the spring rate in the back, and they sagged-out again after a year or so... ( at least in my experience with '55 De Soto and '64 Newport, and various trucks)...

But, there are several options available to you... taller shackles are probably the cheapest "fix", but also the least desireable in my opinion...

For a source for new springs, check-out: "www.espospringsandthings.com"...

Good luck,

If you don't like rearching springs you can have brand new ones installed for between $200 and $250.

Any springs will flatten out and take a set after a few months. Then continue to sag slowly for the next 100 years.

The prices I quote are on the high side. You may find if you call a spring shop in your area, you can have it fixed properly for not much more than the air shock band aid solution.