37 zephyr update

Guest peter_smith

Guest peter_smith

Hello All,

It's a while since I posted any progress on the UK side of the pond, I have had the ignition coils rewound, by Jake Fleming, many thanks Jake, lovely job, I fitted the new points and generaly cleaned up and checked the distributor, all appeared to be OK, till I sent it to Colin Spong, who had kindly offered to set it up, apparently there was a problem with wear on the cam, anyway Colin had a one, and when fitted everything was OK,thanks Colin, new plugs, plug leads, and condensers fitted, runs like a dream, but not road tested yet. I have got the new glass in the rear opening quarter lights, and the passenger door, I overhauled the window regulator and door lock, while everything was stripped out, the screen is still to go back in, but I found a lot of perforation around the fresh air vent, so that's the next job before the screen, and overhauled wipers go back in, I have almost finished fitting the new wiring loom that I made, I quite enjoyed that job, hav'nt made a one for a while, battery on tomorrow and test, everything, (fire extinguisher handy), the rechromed parts should be back next week, and a set of new tyres should be arriving shortly.

Had a look in the trunk tonight, it's the first time I have been in thier, I took the fuel sender unit out to clean it and check it over, it seems OK, I think it was suffering from a bad earth, (I ran a separate earth from the unit to the chassis), incidentaly, I have added earths to all the lights, and brought them back through the new loom to the chassis, not standard practice I know, but I like it that way. While in the trunk, I had to hold the lid up with a piece of wood, I noticed what looked like ratchet devices on the hinges, are these in place of return springs? I didn't have much time to study them.

another little job I found, the exhaust is rubbing on the fuel tank, well I suppose it's better than rubbing 2 sticks together to make a fire.

Well, Onward and upward.

Regards

Peter Smith

Good grief, Dale, lift your bonnet and you'll see there is an earth for your block! wink.gif

"Two nations separated by a common language." cool.gif

Pete - I really envy you and the progress you've made. I've been in line for my bodywork for a few years now, but at least the end is in sight...

Guest peter_smith

Hello all

Well I have had a busy day today, fitted the trumpet horns, and wired them up,they sound very nice, I got these horns from Texas, as there were non on the car when I got it, when they arrived they were covered in mud, and I thought I had backed a loser, but the mud was oil based, and once washed off, they were like new, not bad for 11 dollars, it cost a fortune to get them back, they were off a Chev I think, and had been mounted facing down, under one of the fenders.

I tried a battery on the car today, all the lights were OK, but all the gauges except the ammeter were doing strange things, I had 50 lbs oil pressure with the engine not running, no fuel gauge, and the temparature gauge showing red hot, with the engine cold.

I stripped the fuel sender out again, and popped the cap off it, everything looked OK, but there is a little carbon resistor in there, looks like a tiny fuse, I removed that and cleaned the copper contacts on the ends, replaced it and re assembled the unit, I then took the gauge out, and cleaned and checked that, I wired them up on the bench, and set them up to show empty when there was about a gallon left in the tank, refitted them, and they are working perfectly.

I thought the oil gauge sender was broken, but when I removed the wire, the gauge was still going up to 50lbs, so took the gauge out, cleaned it and checked it, and everything looked OK, on re assembling it, I noticed that the mounting plate has slots cut in it to pass over the terminals, these slots have a bridge piece in them less than 1/16" wide, if you move the mounting plate sideways you can make the terminals short out on these bridges, and I think this is what caused the problem, effectively giving it a full oil pressure signal, I cut the bridges out, re assembled it, and it is now on zero, I havn't had the engine running yet, so don't know if it's fully cured, but always something to bear in mind, if you ever get a runaway oil gauge.

The temparature gauge is tomorrows job, I have had enough for today.

regards

Peter Smith