1938 Chevy P-UP

I got this old 1 ton truck (1938 Chevy) from my grandpa it has 5000 mi. on it and been in a barn all its life. It has no rust on it. I dont know if i should fix it up the same or make a street rod out of it so I wanted to get some input fron other people as to what they would do, also what is something like this worth? The motor runs. thanks for your help gaterstomper@aol.com

I would restore it. Cars/trucks are much more interesting when they reflect the year in which they were built. There are too many street rods, and only so many old cars were built. If you want a street rod, get a fiberglass kit. Leave the original truck for restoration.

Guest De Soto Frank

Regarding the Chevy truck, you might want to walk your question over to the Stovebolt Page: "www.stovebolt.com".

Their site is devoted to Chevy & GMC trucks from the '30s thru the '70s.

If this truck has 20" wheels (32 x 6 or 6.00 x 20 tires), it would probably be too big for most rodders- they like to pick on pick-ups.

If it's all there and intact, I would vote for restoration.

It is interesting to observet he car hobby is evolving into a more mature state with the conservaion and resoration idea. My biggest hobby is antique firearms. Even 20 years ago folks were routienly altering firearms that now have consiterable collector value. A the time a rifle in original condition might have been worth more as an "updated" sporter. Now a it is just the opposite. The right original unmollested gun may be worth thousands and the sporter produced from one like it only a couple of hundred. I think we may be looking at a simmilar trend in cars. It will be interesting what the strret rods are worth to the next generation versus original condition vehicles of the same type. I know where I would put my bet.