Planning Restoration: 48 Chevy PU

Guest hefdog

Guest hefdog

I've owned this truck for past 40 years. It's a 1/2 ton with a 4 spd (1st gear is a granny). The truck appears to be original. Only doubt is the engine, which is a six cyl from that era but may not be the original. The truck doesn't run, it's been in moth balls for past 15 years. When it ran, I used it as a hauler of dirt, block, etc. for my homes I owned then. It was a good hauler, but never drove fast, barely getting over 45mph without sounding like it was going to blow up.

It needs a lot of work to bring it back. No major rust, but a total renewing of everything. I'm not sure which way to go with the renovation: Keep it original or not. I'm not interested in making it a custom hot rod (nor do I have the $). I'm leaning toward a restoration that keeps the truck mostly original but allows for some drivability and usability on todays highways. I'd like to go 65-70mph, not max out at 45mph.

So with that, I've got some questions to all of you "old car" buffs out there:

1) What's the pro's and cons of 100% restoration vs a 80% restoration that gives it some enhancements in drivibility?

2) How can I determine if the engine in it is original? Where on the engine do I find the specs/tags for identifying it?

3) Which soft enhancements can help the truck manage the highways of today while keeping it mostly original? (i.e. engine, tranny, shock/suspension, electrical, and rear-end changes). Can I do all this and keep the 6 cyl engine?

4) Can the original shocks on this truck be kept/restored, or is it better to change them to modern-type shocks?

Thanks for your input.

If the engine is not original, or you don't care if it's original, then you can replace it with a 1954 engine with pressure lubrication. It will look the same, but be more reliable. Also, I believe that taller rear end gears are available for this truck. With those two invisible modifications, you will have a nice highway cruising, yet original appearing truck. Good luck with it.

My advise (opinion) would be to keep it original and enjoy it for what it is and just stay off the interstates. A later pressure oiled non babbeted engine is an option but it is not a total "bolt in". The biggest, problem with getting a drive train that will do 65-70 is that you really don't want to go that fast with the stock suspension, brakes and wheels/tires. So to make it a safe cruiser you really are talking about making a street rod with new suspension, drive train, brakes, air conditioning, etc. etc. etc.

I have a 1939 Chev. PU that is stock except I installed a later pressure oiled engine and added turn signals for safety. I wouldn't want to drive it to Florida but for putting around the back roads it's great. And I get far more thumbs up and waves than I would if it was boogered up.........Bob

Guest hefdog

Thanks for the tips.

I know I asked a lot of questions, but HOW can I determine from the engine that I have in the truck now just what I do have? Are there engine tags or serial #'s on it somewhere that I can locate, and a place where I can input the information to find out? I may have a 53 engine in it now, who knows?

And what resource would have the "taller rear end and gears" for this truck that you referred to, so I can follow through?