1940 dodge not a "Dodge Brothers"? Need running boards

Guest austinsailor

Guest austinsailor

I just signed up for this forum, it is the only one I've found that seems to be close to what I'm looking for. However, I notice in some old posts I've read that it really is for only Dodges through 1938. I'm curious why the cutoff. Many mechanical parts are shared from about '36 through '42. Will I be flogged for occasionally asking a question about my "new" dodges? (I have 2)

And, in the event I won't be banned outright, I have a question. I've been looking for a way to refurbish my running boards. Recently I helped my father replace the rubber on his '41 Ford. Seems you just buy the rubber which matched the original, clean the board up and glue the new rubber on. Searching high and low, all I've come up with for the Dodge is bulk black material I can cut and sort of fit to the boards, and a fellow who makes or refurbished your boards for what sounds like $1000 or maybe much more.

Are these my only choices?

post-52471-143137935974_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine bought some for his 37 Dodge coupe, was over $1000. Too much huh? but they do look really nice.

The year debate was quite heated in the Dodge Brothers club not long ago. 1938 was the last year the name "Dodge Brothers" appeared on the OUTSIDE of the car, hence the cutoff. I agree the 39-48 share alot of parts but majority ruled and at this time the "club" is 14-38. I posed the question/statement about newer Dodges on this forum for Dodge Brothers and the response was it got renamed to "Dodge & Dodge Brothers" instead of just "Dodge Brothers" I like all Dodge varities but it seemed to me newer car questions (70's-80's) got smart alec answers instead of explaining this is predomintly 14-38 users. Anyway, I like your Dodge, brother, and I will ask my friend where he got his covers and get back to you.

Oh yeah, My 40 Ford running board covers were indeed way cheaper at about $250 if I remember back a few years! It made a huge difference in the looks of the car.

Dave

p.s. I would love to have a 39 or 40 Dodge coupe.

Guest austinsailor

A grand does seem like a load, but I might wake up one morning and go wild. So, if you can point me to a source, I'll save it and time will tell.

For what it's worth, this Non-Dodge-Brothers Dodge is sitting in my shop with the entire suspension removed. All parts are sandblasted, epoxy primered and painted (including the rear axle). New shocks, seals, bushings and kingpins. Newly resleaved-with-brass master and all wheel cylinders. New brakes. Tomorrow re-assembly begins. Bet it drives better next week!

Waiting in the wings is a complete new transmission. Purchased Johnny Cash style, a piece at a time. Took over a year on Ebay, but includes everything but a new transmission case. About a year ago it got a rebuild of the steering box with a brand new sector gear and maybe the last NOS, new off the shelf in Georgia, worm gear. I'm hoping to see how they drove in 1940.