A/C diagnostics message

REattared

Had my 89 converted to r134 4-5 years ago and still seems to be cooling OK, but when I go the diagnostic screen for climate system and press OK for each check selection, I get "very low refrigerant", "compressor overheating" etc. Last summer I got 1 of the r134 fill kits and the gage indicated low but I could'nt seem to get the system to accept any refrig. Any ideas or take to professional? Could it be that the diagnotic msgs are history and not a current problem? Thanks

I think I know what screen you are looking at. It is the one with all the O.K.'s If you were to key on engine it will show dangerous low oil pressure, or if you pressed the fuel it would show that you need more fuel,etc. etc. You are in the area of the computer that shows what the warnings look like if/when they pop up on your screen when/if you have a problem.

To get in the diagnostics that are referred to on this forum, you go to the climate screen. Turn the heat/ac off. Car can be running. Press the off and warm buttons at the same time and then you will go into diagnostics.

Howard will probably weigh in as he likes to welcome new members. At any rate welcome and good luck with your car. When you have time maybe you should post some pictures or tell us about your car,

Guest spongebob

i would like to get folks from adding freon when you THINK theres a problem.

as we all know our reattas are a handful and the electronics can be wrong..if you add a can of freon to a system that already has a full charge, you risk major damage to the system and to yourself.

you need a set of guages,and the know how to use them..guages dont lie, your reatta will.

I agree w/Spongebob. Don't go looking for trouble. Wait for the warning to pop up on your screen. If the car a/c is cooling the cabin down,leave it alone. Remember that gas expands when it gets warm,so the worst thing you can do is try to overfill it. You will blow seals.

The next question I have is, did you try going into the diagnostics? You probably don't have an a/c code, but you may have history codes. Why don't you post back what you get for codes?