what went there?

Guest edalfa

Guest edalfa

The carb for my 40 Special is out being rebuilt. When I disassembled it, there was a glass bowl filter in line with the carb. It was definitely not a stock setup since (a) the line from the filter to the carb was copper,(b)it was covered with teflon pipe tape and © it was done without a flared fitting anywhere. What should have followed the end on the fuel line? I'd rather not put back the filter. I prefer the look with out it and plan to place one before the fuel pump.

Thanks,

Ed

I have seen two types of filters on straight 8 Buicks but I do not know what years used what of if they were standard or optional.

The first type was a glass bowl filter with a "stone" filter in it. The casting was marked "AC" and it screwed directly into the inlet of the carb via a brass fitting. The second type was a flat metal "pancake" that screwed to the carb inlet. This one could be dis-assembled for cleaning. I have never seen an oringial looking filter before the fuel pump.

Bill

Guest edalfa

I guess my bigger question is were there cars that did not have a fuel filter at the carb? If so, what went in the carb to accept the fuel line? As far as the filter that I plan before the pump... I intend this car to be a driver and want modern filtering to protect both the carb and the fuel pump.

Ed