WANTED: '54 Gas Tank

Gary_N

• 1 month later...

Well...it feels a little thin, if you know what I mean, not to mention beat up. I recently had my '50 tank restored by "pros" and that cost me $900. But, I did get some very good pictures of the work they did. Surely, that's makes it worth it? That tank wasn't anywhere near as bad as the '54. Then again, they may have seen a sucker walking into the shop. Anyway, Bob's sells repro tanks for about $250. This seems to be about the same as fixing the old tank myself, if I could do it that is.

Gary consider this.

Your old tank is most certainly rusted inside. I've heard of all these concoctions to fix and seal tanks. I've never used them , I have my own process for cleaning out tanks. But depending on the amount and location of the rust , it can sometimes be hard even for me to get the rust out.

Firstly you have to buy this fancy stuff , mess around with chemicals and even at the end of the process can you be guaranteed of success ?

Your metal is thin and bent out of shape. The only true way to fix those symptoms are to cut out pieces and weld back in. An extremely dangerous job --- even if no fuel has been in it for years.

Pockets of vapour get trapped in all sorts of crevices , and KA BOOM !!

My advice , bite the bullet and buy the new tank while you can. It will save you time and money in the end. To me, $250 for a new tank is cheap!!

Good luck.

Ken ( aka Rooster)

(1954 I )

Ken:

I think so too. I may just cut open the original tank to see how bad it is, just for the experience. I want to get the sending unit out and see what kind of shape it's in. I've been told that its better to have the old unit rebuilt than to get a new replacement. Not sure why. Looks like I'm going to have to drill the old unit though out since the screws are shot.

I did find an NOS sending unit for my '64 on eBay. Haven't seen anything like that for the '54. Whoever rebuilt the sending unit for my '50 did a a great job, or I should say, it looks like they did a great job. Haven't got the tank back in yet.

Gary