Battery cables for 3.0.

Guest slyrose

Guest slyrose

Anyone have a set of battery cables for a 3.0? My car is losing power abruptly. When I step on the brakes, the power will go out. It will go out sometimes when I'm driving. The trans dowshifts, the radio goes out, the lights flicker, and today I had a total reset stopped at a stop sign. I think I have a bad set of cables. I treated all of the grounds that I could find. By doing the grounds last year, I fixed this problem. I have done it again and no fix. Could it be anything else??

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Rose, There is a black torpedo shaped connector on the positive battery cable that connects to a bunch of wires (fuseable links). This torpedo pulls apart into 2 pieces this connector is the electrical feed to 90% of the car make sure that connection is clean and tight. Good Luck, Lou

Guest slyrose

Hi Lou! Sly's the 1st name, Rose the last name. Thganks for your response. I pulled the Pos. terminal off the batterytoday and the car still ran. Took all the connections off & cleaned them today and it seems to be working. I do need new cables though. I ordered some from rock auto and they aren't completely right. My cables have multiple wires coming off that dissappear into the main harness, and a neg wire that has a splice in it for 2 cables to join together.

Are these going to be custom made cables for replacements/ Has anyone replaced their cables?

Thanks!

Sly

Thanks for the clarification, I knew a few sly Roses in my day. Enough of that... The heavy black lead (wire) (not the real heavy cable)that has a 1/2 " thick x 2" long black kinda protrusion or bubble that is located at the back of the battery is really a connector that seperates and then connects to a bunch of different colored wires that go into the wire loom. each of these wires are called "fuseable links" they protect the complete wireing system in the car from damage or burning the car if there is a bad short, OK that connector pulls apart and from age and electrical current traveling thru it the heavy metal connecting ends get loose Themale end has slots cot in it and a hole in the center you can put an "ice pick" type of tool in there and give it a little wiggle that will spread that part to toghten the fit and make a better connection.. Good Luck,, Lou