Anyone ever try to buildup a worn fan shaft?

1924DB

In replacing the fan/pulley on my '24 DB coupe I've discovered a worn fan shaft. Someone had wrapped thin bushing material around the shaft in the past so the wear has been there for some time. I have thought about having my machine shop build the shaft back up so that the lubricating oil will not just run out when added to the cup. Has anyone ever done this or is it better just to try and find a new shaft assembly? Ron

Guest DodgeKCL

I had my water housing for my '35 repaired by a machine shop. They arc welded something into it and then milled it down to level. Cost $110 but it was faster than trying to find a replacement (which I never did find). Put in a new kit and put silicone lube in the shaft nipple (in stead of water pump grease) and it works fine. Also used silicone RTV for the gasket 'glue'. No leaks. I think we don't use the modern machine shops as much as we could. Mind you some won't touch a 'small' job. This particular shop is owned by a fellow car nut so he couldn't wait to help me out. Maybe this will give you an idea of which way to go. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. The one machine shop I have found locally that expressed any interest in doing the rebuild work says he has no way to set up his lathe to handle the shaft and belt-adjustment assembly together. However, I've just about decided that the fan shaft may be either pressed, or screwed, into the adjustment assembly so it may be possible to separate the two parts. I'm still looking into this possibility.

Interestingly, it has also been recommended to me to replace the old fan bushings with sealed bearings. However, this work also seems beyond the skills of my local machine shop. Still trying to find answers.

Ron

Check and see if Myers or Romars has another shaft/bracket. They are not that rare. Every fan I have bought has one on it. Keep the bushings greased and do not over tighten the belt. It only needs to drive the fan. Mine is loose enough to turn the fan easily with the engine not running, cools fine.

Dave

Hi Dave.

I sent an email to Myers this morning so maybe he can help. The fan/pulley/bushing assembly I just received from him was in excellent condition.

My machinist says he may be able to build a new fan shaft if the old shaft comes lose from the bracket. I've looked at mine closely this morning and I seem to see a hairline seam around where the bracket and the shaft join that would indicate these are actually two parts. However if this is two parts, I still cannot tell if the shaft is screwed into the bracket or just pressed in.

Hopefully I can just locate a good bracket and shaft and be done with it.

Ron

Guest 1930

Why dont you just get the info from the guy that knew the machinist that was a car nut and send it to him, surely he would be able to do the same for you and whats shipping? No hassle then