71 CUTLASS CONVERTIBLE

DougO

I bought this car new in June/71 and I know it was built in Lansing-May/71.The last digits of the vin are 201431.I know that this had to be towards the end of the build cycle for 71's,but I'm curious to know when built and where it was in the build cycle.I hope that someone has access to this data.Thanks....Doug [color:"red"]

• 2 weeks later...

The build date code will be on the body data plate... if you open the hood, the plate is on the driver's side cowl at the base of the windshield. Look for a code like 05A, 05B, 05C, 05D, or 05E, those would be the date codes for a car built the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth weeks of May.

Don't confuse this with a 2-digit number followed by one letter, that is the paint color code followed by the convertible top color code, ie something like 57A.

You should also see a number something like 342671LAN, that would be the style of the car - 3 is Oldsmobile, 4200 series is Cutlass Supreme, 67 is the convertible body style.

Production generally went from August or September of the previous year (ie, they started building the '71s sometime in August or September of 1970 for introduction in the fall of 1070) through about the middle of the next July (ie 1971 in your case).

Hope this helps!

(Also) Doug

Hi Olds Doug.Thank you for the code breaking advice.It turns out that I have an 05C,so the 3rd week of May

was when she was produced.The last time I looked at that particular plate was when we did a repaint in 1982.

May I inquire as to what Olds you own.Thanks....Doug O.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Olds Doug.Thank you for the code breaking advice.It turns out that I have an 05C,so the 3rd week of May

was when she was produced.The last time I looked at that particular plate was when we did a repaint in 1982.

May I inquire as to what Olds you own.Thanks....Doug O. </div></div>

Sure thing! Mine is a '70 Supreme convertible, white over Galleon Gold...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~oldsdoug

conv.jpg

convertible.jpg

Pictures are a little dated - car was restored in 1990 but has lived outside under a cover, so it really needs to be redone again.

Get in touch if I can be of any help!

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug,she's a beauty.How does one go about uploading photographs? I belong to a British seafaring website and after a year I mastered uploading pics.But I haven't noticed any links yet that would enable me to do so.Hope you can help and then I can show you my Lady in Red.Cheers....Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Doug,she's a beauty.How does one go about uploading photographs? I belong to a British seafaring website and after a year I mastered uploading pics.But I haven't noticed any links yet that would enable me to do so.Hope you can help and then I can show you my Lady in Red.Cheers....Doug </div></div>

Thanks - I wish she looked like that now; actually could use a repaint... but you get the idea! As far as pics, I think you have to have your own site to host them, and you can link to that site by using the 3rd icon from the left that you see when you compose a message - hope that isn't too much geekspeak for you - I'm a computer professional and have just come from 8 hours of training, so am bubbling over with computerese at the moment! smile.gif

(What is the British seafaring website? A buddy of mine, also Olds/ auto enthusiast, is also a seafaring/Titanic buff... one of my other passions is the Andrea Doria, and from that I also got interested in the Morro Castle...)

• 1 month later...

Hi Doug.Sorry for the tardy reply,but the server or something else was down for a while and I neglected to check until yesterday.The ships website is shipsnostalgia.com,out of the UK and I find it fascinating especially since I was born there more than just a few years ago and I hail from a seafaring family.I still have to figure out how to send a pic on this site,and when that happens I'll send one.......Doug