Wiring diagram for 91V6

I have a leak in the electrics and it is draining the battery. I can disconnect the connector nearest the +terminal to control it as the car runs fine. I have tried to find a wiring diagram but am unable to find one where the colour code matches the wiring harness. Can anyone help?

Thanks. I have already gone through this process. Removing all the fuses does not stop the drain, which is over 500ma.The problem is identifying the various circuits by the colour code, which is why I need an accurate wiring diagram.

Guest StudeDude 01

Colin----had a similar problem with my '90 V6. Tried all of the fuses and could not isolate it. I finally remembered a similar issue with a '70's era Mopar that was caused by the alternator. The test---disconnect the battery and then disconnect all of the electrical connections from the rear of the alternator. Reconnect the battery and let it sit overnight. If the battery tests OK the next day, you have the culprit. Hope this helps.

If pulling fuses doesn't stop the drain then you need to concentrate on all systems that have constant battery power with the key off. Some of these systems include the lights, horn, power seats and locks and don't forget to check the hood, trunk and storage compartment lights to make sure they are not staying on.

The voltage regulator in the TC is part of the computer rather than a part of the alternator or separate. Look for pinched wires in any area that was recently messed with before the problem started.

I have been away so I just got round to trying your suggestion. It looks like I will have to remove the alternator to disconnect the wires. Is this correct? I still need an accurately colour coded wiring diagram. - Colin

Guest StudeDude 01

Colin----you do not need to remove the alternator to disconnect its wiring harness. You do have to remove the air filter assembly (or airbox) which sits in back of the alternator and the air intake hose which connects the airbox to the throttle body . Two 9/16 bolts (I believe) attaches the airbox to the intake manifold. Once you get that out of the way, you will have easier access to the rear of the alternator. There are a total of 5 nuts to remove---1 of the 5 holds the wiring harness onto the alt, 3 are field/ground terminals and the heavier wire is the battery line. I used a 1/4 ratchet with the appropriate size sockets to remove all. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery before you do any of this---otherwise sparks will fly.

I agree that a wiring diagram would be useful but you do not need one to perform this test.

Thanks for the instructions. I disconnected the alternator and,in the process snapped the bolt of one connector.However, it made no difference to the battery drain. I don't know if I can replace the connector bolt. I guess I may have to replace the alternator. I am stumped what to do next. The car will not start now. It will not turn over even with a fully charged battery. The weather is beautiful in Moab UT and I was looking forward to removing the hardtop and showing off the Black TC. It even has the original umbrella! I guess I'll have to be content with the LeBaron convertible for now.

How do I post a photo attatchment?

Colin

Guest LouZ

There is a connector that is like an octipus this connector is actually a bunch of fuseable links they are always hot and that may be a connection you may want to try for a test. I have not had any need to find mine but on other cars it comes off the starter pos. connection.. Good Luck, Lou