97' Oldsmobile Achieva 2.4-has been stalling-now will not start

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Hi again all! Got another problem here. My mom has a 1997 Olds Achieva SL 4dr, 161K miles, with the 2.4L 4-cyl. The check engine warning light is often on... we had it checked last year and everyone that checked it said it was the o2 sensor. We replaced it (the one they said was defective) TWICE, but the light would not go off. We had it reset twice and it would stay off for a few hours, then it would re-illuminate. The "ETS off" light is also illuminated. When they would check it again, with the light on, they said it was showing NO codes.... strange.

For awhile now, the car has been acting "cold natured". You have to let it warm up for a few minutes before taking off, or it will stall out a few times as you are going down the roads. It always starts right back up. Also, even when warm, it will "chug" and splutter when it is in overdrive under acceleration. It "burps" so to speak, unless you press down on the pedal to get it out of overdrive or release the pedal.

Well, tonight something has went wrong. I started out, as I normally drive this car, as it is much easier on gas than my truck (although the MPGs have declined rapidly). Anyway, it stalls out twice on me going down the road in my neighborhood. The first time, I was still rolling when it stalled... I gently placed it up into "N" and started it- it started instantly.... went on a little ways and it stalled out again. I plave it in "N" again, but this time when I turn the ignition to the "start" position, it will not crank. The warning lights on the dash illuminate, but it will not start/crank. We checked the connections and the battery... they are good. The lights stay bright when cranking. I think anyway, if it were the battery it would crank slowly, but it was not at all. It has never had this problem before. It was acting like I was trying to start it when it was in gear (like the safety switch was stuck)... However, I tried several times starting it in "N" and "P".... no change.

I am not sure if the problems are connected or not.

Any info/advice appreciated with this/these problem(s).

Guest Shaffer

Thanks....

Well, the strangest thing is that this morning when we tried it.... it started right up, even on several attempts. We did not drive it though.

There was a recall on the ignition switch on these awhile back... I am not sure if this car was ever taken in though. We have owned it for about 4 years and grandpa owned it for two and we never got a notice about it... I just found out on the internet. Still not sure why it has been stumbling.

Thanks again!