Light problem

jonlabree

Guest smith356

I have the same problem. Waiting for a photocell from Jim Finn. I'll post again once I install & hopefully have a cure. Last year I had taken apart my console to replace the shifter bulb and after putting everything back together the lights all worked and dimmed properly. It lasted about two weeks and then went back to not working again. Is there anything in the console fuse panels that might be related to the lights ? Did I possibly bump something that made them work ?

Guest Greg Ross

I have not had the Photo Electric Cell under the dash for several years, simply removed it. The Dimmer works at night and I have to slide it up bright for Day Time running.

I can recall discussion on this Board about a shot of WD 40 right in the reostat slot and they claimed it worked.

Guest smith356

Greg, you're right on the money ! Took mine out and the dash is dimming again. I have been so tired of the bright panel at night, not to mention not being able to see the radio / climate control. Thanks for the tip !

Guest dpannell

Any chance of taking this one step further??? My dashlights dim like they are supposed to....but my climate control and radio do not dim at all. Any comments or suggestions? Dave

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any chance of taking this one step further??? My dashlights dim like they are supposed to....but my climate control and radio do not dim at all. Any comments or suggestions? Dave </div></div>

I didn't want to take a chance on destroying my dash panel and defroster grill so I disconnected the wht/blk wire at BMC connector 3D8. Now everything dims a expected as long as the fog lights are on and the headlights are on low. If I turn the fog lights off or turn the headlights on bright the crt and speed display go to full bright. I suspect a headlight switch problem still exists but I'm not ready to spend the big bucks to replace it right now.

I like the fog lights on all the time anyway, so how can I have the fog lights stay on, even when the headlights are on bright? That would keep the dash and crt lights dim? Maybe a relay I could unplug or something? If I could do that I would be a happy camper and keep and extra $180 bucks for the headlight switch in my pocket for more pressing problems. Any ideas anyone?

Guest TheNewDamage

Ok I was wondering why the slider didnt seem to do anything. It makes sernse about the photosensor. I will add it to the to do list. Thanks!