Moon roadster

I write a Q&A column for the Sunday newspaper in Reading, PA. A reader says that in 1938 when her then husband to be was courting her, he drove a Moon roadster. She would like some information on it. I've done a search on the Net and came with nothing. Can anyone help me out with this?<P>Thanks

Don't want to leave you hanging out there. I will do some research and try to give you a little general info on the Moon. HV

Moon Motor Car Co, St. Louis, MO, 1905-1930<P>In the late teens and early 20's the Moon was an assembled car utilizing a continental engine and in 1924 introduced Lockheed 4 wheel brakes. Later in the 20's, Moon attemped to produce a European-type, high quality car, but this ended in failure after the company acquired control of New Era Motors, Inc. The new venture collapsed and<BR>with it the two famous names Moon and Kissel.<P>In the late 60's or early 70's there was a fine example of a late 20's Moon roadster in Baltimore. Could there be any connection between your reader and the gentleman who owned that car. His first name was Charles and at that time was in his late 50's or early 60's.<P>Hope this is of some help. ~ Howard<P>It just came to me. The man's name was Charles Beasley [or Beesley] and possibly J. Charles Beasley. <p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 07-29-2000).]

It is of course the question which year the Moon was but here are some general information about the Moon cars.<BR>Moon cars were built in St.Louis/Missouri from 1905 to 1929 by Joseph W. Moon who died in 1919. The first Moon was a 5p touring car with 30/35hp engine. The Moon was called "The Ideal American Car". 1913 came the first six cylinder car and from 1916 to the end were all Moon 6 cylinder or later even 8 cylinder cars. In 1924 the Moon cars got hydraulic brakes by Lockhead. Moon built also the Diana cars from 1925 to 1928. They had a straight 8 Continental engine. Moon built also cars with a large wheelbase up to 132". In 1929 the Moon Company started with 2 new cars: The Windsor and the Ruxton. The final end of the Moon Company, Windsor and Ruxton was then in 1930. <BR>Could it be that her husband had one of the later Moons like the 1928 Aerotype Model 6 or 8?<BR>Hope this helped you a bit.<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Owning a Moon touring (1923 6/40) let me add a couple of items before a couple of other owners do. The best way to recognize a 20s moon is to look at the grill shell. It looks like a Rolls and is made of german silver. Although it uses a continential engine, so does my Star, it is not considered an assembled car. Moon made their own body and frame but did purchase drive train components from several prominent manufactures. I am aware of app. fifty Moon owners but you seldom see them at meets. There is no Moon club that I am aware of.