Enclosed car top dressing?

scott12180

I have a recently acquired 1932 Packard 902 Victoria Coupe. The top insert appears to be original

and is in good shape. However, being original I am concerned that it is brittle and may be prone

to leaks should I get caught in the rain. (And in this climate that will happen eventually.)

Any suggestions for a top dressing or sealant that I can apply to waterproof the top?

I am especially concerned about the edges where the top meets the body. I expect this would

leak first.

Thanks --- Scott

If it is really an original top, or, more likely, one that was re-done many years ago of materials available then, it is (as you apparently have noticed) as brittle as a thin sheet of glass.

Normal driving speeds cause air to flow over your roof. Turbulent air. Your top will flex. It will get cracks. The cracks will leak. You dont want that on what I presume is nice old wood, and nice old upholstery.

Suggest you "bite the bullet" and have it re-done, unless you are going to keep the car as custume jewelery a la "trailer queen".

Any competent auto top shop should be able to do this - they will have sample books from which you should be able to choose a material that has the 'look and feel' of the surface you want, that will be water-proof.

Top dressing is still available - I bought some to maintain an original car that I have, which I prefer to keep original. I can't recall where I bought it, perhaps Eastwood or Restoration Supply. The hardest part of having the insert redone is the replacing the molding. I haven't found an exact duplicate available, so have had to substitute an aluminum molding that looks the same when it is on, but doesn't fasten like the original. Dave Mitchell packard12s@hotmail.com