Reattas in the snow

ronvb

Our 89 went through the snow and ice excellent last year. If it gets too deep then it slows it up. But all things considered it is an excellent snowmobile.

As usual Ron... all good advice. I used my 89 Coupe during blizzard like conditions here on Long Isalnd last winter. I've been driving thru this s%$# for all my life in all kinds of vehicels. The Reatta REALLY surprised me as to how well it went thru high amounts of snow, i.e. upwards of 8". With a good set of snow tires (at least in the front) you can go almost anywhere! wink.gif" border="0

Blizzaks wear soooo fast that you think they are leaving black strips behind the car as you drive. Personal experience. There are two layers on the tread and only the outer 50% is the high traction stuf. <P>See snow tire tests at <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com/winter/wintertesting.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.tirerack.com/winter/wintertesting.html</A> While Blizzaks are great they usually come last in the high performance snow tire tests. I presently have the Yokohama Guardex 600 winter tires on my Riviera. <P> Commercial ... Recent advances in snow tire technology have produced special porous tread rubber compounds which help dissapate the thin layer of water from between the tire and the road to deliver more traction on icy surfaces. Yokohama engineers have pushed the current level of snow tire tread compound technology even further.<P>First, they added small nylon fibers to the mix to help the tire approach the "bite" of studded tires without the negatives associated with metal studs. In addition, these nylon "mini-studs" help reinforce the tread blocks, enhancing snow traction while improving wear and dry handling capabilities.<P>But Yokohama didn't stop there. To further increase the ice traction of their micro-pore tire, they added a fine mixture of more pliant, low temperature rubber into the compound. These softer bits of rubber help the Guardex 600 grip road surfaces even in extreme low temperatures.<P>Use them and love them, have them mounted on stock alloy rims.<P>Robert grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0