1907 Buick Model G Roadster Questions

1907Roadster

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and have a few questions which some of you might be able to help with.

A friend of mine has bought a 1907 Model G Roadster which has spend a long time of the road in a collection and we're getting it back on the road for the summer.

The cars chassis no is 549160.

With regards to its history we know that it was last registered to a Mr W C Lanier, 801 Knott Street, Bakersfield, CA in the mid 60's as a horseless carriage plate no 3056.

The car was sold to a Mr M M H Lips, 1899 Seventh Street, Oakland, CA who also had an address in Druinen, Holland where it was shipped to on 25th July 1969.

At the time the car was red but after a rebuild it was resprayed white and we have a valuation certificate from a Dutch valuator from 21st January 1997.

My friend bought it at a Bonhams auction in Henley on Thames here in the UK on 16th July 2004 but we only have got round to recommissioning it now as he also has a 1904 Wolseley which we take on the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run every year.

We have got a copy of a owners manual with it but would be grateful for some more information if available. At present the clutch is seized from years of storage and there are a few parts missing like the rear light, two rear brass hubcaps and the linkage to tilt the steering column away from the drivers seat. We need to carry out repairs to the brass radiator grille and side lights.

I try and enclose some pictures in this post but if not can email them.

How many Model G Roadsters are still around?

Did the ignition run of 6 or 12Volts.

Has anyone got some reference pictures for us for the steering column linkage to refabricate it?

Any comments are welcome.

Kind Regards Frank Hofmann

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/th_IMG_0177.jpg

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/th_IMG_0178.jpg

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/th_IMG_0179.jpg

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/th_IMG_0180.jpg

Ps. my email adress is frankhofmann@tiscali.co.uk but I'll check on this forum too.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear 1907 Roadster:

The Model G was built with and used the same engine and frame number series as the more common Model F. You should find the engine number stamped on the engine flywheel. For a 1907 Buick, that engine number will be between 4866 and 8965. The frame number will be stamped on the frame and should be between 1501 and 5500. Could you clarify where you got the number you give of 549160? It doesn't match any Buick number I am aware of.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Frank:

Production on Model G's for 1907 was 535 cars. The 1907 F's had 3465 cars made.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Dave,

The number I'm refering to is on picture 0180. It's stamped on the left-hand rear suspension trackrod arm and on the californian road license slip as it's ID number. Where should the frame number be?

I've noticed a number on the flywheel and the sump so will check on them later.

I've cleaned the tank and carb. Should there be a linkage to the choke butterfly?

Also the very rear of the oilers is not connected to anywhere. Can i adjust the amount of oil by using the thumbscrews?

Dear Joe,

The hubcaps look good. Could you make a pair or are the dies the actual caps and what's the cost?

Regards Frank

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Frank:

Ok, I understand where the number came from. It's not a Buick number, but one assigned by the State of California. The frame number is stamped in various places on the early cars. Common places that I have seen are the top of the front of the right rail, the top of the back of the left rail, the top of the rear crossmember, and I've even seen one stamped right into the back end of the left rail.

In regards to your other questions, you might want to go to a website called "BrassBuicks", which is about 300 of the most knowledgeable people there are about pre 1915 Buicks. They can answer nearly anything about these cars. I'm only the guy who knows about what we call today "VIN" numbers for these Buicks.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your help. I haven't been able to find a chassis number and the engine numbers seem to relate to casting/part numbers (all 3 digits long).

I'll try BrassBuicks and see how I get on.

We've free the high speed clutch is off as it must have been on for a long time whilest the car was stored. We can now turn the engine. Most other mechanical parts seem to be in good condition and just need servicing.

Regards Frank

Hi everybody,

Have taken your advise on board and have joint BrassBuick now. Have found some pics of a 1907 Model G belonging to Kevin Johnson. One of the pics is also on PreWarBuick which got me on the link to the AACA. I'll try to contact him this weekend and will post a few messages on the forums.

We filled the radiator today and found a couple of leaks which will need repairing.

Here is a picture of me driving the 1904 Wolseley on the 2005 London to Brighton Run with my friends son and his buddys.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/1904Wolseley.jpg

Regards Frank