1963 Olds Cutlass

jtdad

Help! I need some help from the knowledgeable folks out there in classic car land. I have a 63 Olds Cutlass that I am restoring. I would like to get a posi-rear under this baby once the motor is rebuilt(stroking to a 330)and dont have the slightest idea if it is even possible to do so. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Since you said you wanted to enlarge your engine to 330, I'm wondering if you think it has a smaller version of the '64 Jetfire Rocket which was 330 cubic inch. The engine in your '63 is a completely different animal, all-aluminum and originally engineered by Buick with different heads on the Olds version while the '64 330 is a cast-iron completely Oldsmobile-engineered (and much more durable)engine. I'm really doubtful that your 215 could be bored enough to increase its displacement to 330 and, if possible, would likely definitely make the cylinder walls very thin which is an even worse situation than usual in an aluminum block engine.

The aluminum 215 really can't be bored very much. What you CAN do is find the crankshaft and heads from a 1964 Buick 300. These bolt onto the 215 block and produce a 5.0 liter alumunum V8. Unfortunately 300 parts are tough to find. A more available option is to get a 4.0 or 4.4 liter version of the motor out of a Land Rover. These come with EFI and are much more readily available.

The 63 is a one year only body style. This and their is no simular GM bodies for that yeat make it a challange to restore. It is also a low productiion number! However I have owned two in the past. The chasis and driveline are shared with the 61 to 63 Cutlass and Buick Speical. Yes they did make the first Cutlass in 61! I have been told by some people that 64 was the first year, that's how rare these cars are. The 61,and 62 Cutlass share the identical body with the earl Buicks. 63 Olds went thier own way. All these early cars should have the same third member. I never used Buick parts but believe they will work. Note that the lug nuts on the right hand side are right hand threads and that the left side is left hand threads. Be mindfull of this or you will snap the studs. Most of these cars came with 13 inch rims, but 14's were an option. Joe is right on about the engines. GM sold it to British Land Rover. They built them until about 2000. Good Luck, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Does your Cutlass have the four-speed manual transmission or the more common and dreaded Roto-Hydramatic Drive (AKA Slim Jim)? If it has the automatic, you've got a challenge to get it to shift acceptably. The Rotos have an extremely large ratio gap between first and second during which the RPM on heavy acceleration can drop by 2000 while the unit makes its very slow, sloppy-slippy shift which often ends with a jerk. The two-three shift is usually fairly well behaved although many times the Roto will just skip past second and end up in third which leaves you even more flat-footed than the 1-2 shift as the very small torque converter is only in operation in first. Even brand new, they often didn't shift well. If yours is so bad you can't live with it, there's a man I've seen referenced in this forum who can reportedly make them shift acceptably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Can not answer your questions on the posi-rear, but want you to know that American Midwest Chrome is available to chrome polish and plate your parts in need. Please remember us for all your chroming needs...

</div></div>

Well, after a B.S. stunt like that, I know who I WON'T be using for all my chroming needs...

Guest AmerMidChrome

Well, gee Joe, I am sorry if I offended you. I really did not mean to. I am new to this and I wanted you to know that we are out there for any chroming needs that you may encounter and we do excellent work. I was not trying to pull any "stunt" as you call it. My daughter re-built her 63 Olds Cutlass and she needed lots of chrome work done. The car is absolutley beautiful. So, I hope you remember that sometimes people are not pulling "stunts" just truly trying to be helpful. Sorry you did not understand.

Have a happy day!

Janet

I'm sorry if my response was too strong, but this is a technical forum and your post looks like spam for a commercial organization that frankly had no relationship to the original thread. There are plenty of opportunities on this site for commercial ads.